View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This is a mix of hidden options, options that are automatically set when you do something and options that are only on some of the devices. The latter are mainly for the Aura HD, but the Glo gets a few as well.

I have been playing with the "FeatureSettings" and a couple of the others for the last week or so. But, I am also running beta firmware, and hadn't checked which were new and which already existed. It appears that most have been there for a while. My testing is on an Touch (N905) and a Glo.

Note: Any experiments with the hidden options are at your own risk. There might be a good reason for Kobo not turning the function on. And "doesn't work properly" is the most likely reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lale-test View Post
Under the section of:

[FeatureSettings]
• AllowDevConsole=true
Activates a new button at the end of the settings list. This button opens a page with 3 buttons, “fonts test”, “Activites” (empty, probably a log) and “save” (Report if your find out what it does).
The "Activities" will clear the table "Activities". That doesn't do anything interesting on the Mini or Touch, but it resets the tiles on the Glo and Aura HD. There is also a checkbox on the beta firmware that explains the need for the "Save" button.

This also enables telnet. But, it might also prevent the device from automatically going to sleep
Quote:
• OnlineWikipedia=true
Wikipedia in kobobooks GREAT! When longpressing a word in a kobobook, using the dictionary menu, a new items give access to online lookup in Wikipedia. Needs wifi.
The whole reason I started to look in the binary libnickel was to find how to activate the libwikipedia.so library found in /usr/local/kobo/. - Now I just need to find a way to activate libcrossword
There is some strange things with the fonts in the Wikipedia dialog, when you do the second lookup, the fonts changes.
It works, but once you are there, you can't look anything else up. Plus its formatting isn't great. I look forward to them finishing it.
Quote:
• TelnetConsole=
Unknown, does NOT enable a telnet login over wifi, somebody try if this work over usb
I didn't see that one.
Quote:
• BookSpecificStats=true
Enables more stats when pressing the % read in the lower left corner.
No, that is already there for kepubs. What it does is add a "Reading Stats" option to a books menu in the library lists. This displays the usual reading stats page, but the top section is for that book rather than the last book that was opened. A nice addition, but they should display the stats as part of the details page for the book.
Quote:
• FullBookPageNumbers=
Might be pagenumber for full book rather than for each chapter?
Yes, for kepubs it changes to page number for the book rather than the current chapter. But, the reading stats popup doesn't display the chapter bar chart properly. It only shows one bar rather than one for each chapter. Also, the page number update is slow when the book is first opened.
Quote:
The rest of the options is not tested, please try them out, and report back if you find out what they are for.
Also please notice that I’m not exactly sure that they are listed under the correct section. (between brackets[]) So test them in other sections, if they do not seem to work in the ones listed below.
I had a little trouble working that out. But, if you put them in the wrong place, they probably won't harm anything. And they tend to disappear if the device rewrites the file.

The other problem is the value. Most are true/false. But, there are a few that need some other values. Sometimes it is obvious what is needed, sometimes not.
Quote:

[ReadingLife]
• MarketingMessages
This has an option in the Glo (might be only the beta) and Aura HD settings menu. I'm not sure where they get displayed. Maybe there is a tile that you press to see them
Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
• SelectiveSync
I am pretty sure this is related to the ability to archive kepubs from Kobo. Setting it to false will probably remove the archive option from the menus.
Quote:
• ReadingTimePerDay
I couldn't find an effect of this. I was hoping to see a graph or something of the number of hours per day.
Quote:
• Thesaurus
The "Thesaurus" adds an option to the dictionary menu to do a thesaurus look up like the dictionary and translation.
Quote:
[ApplicationPreferences]
• SyncShelves
Stops shelves from syncing during the sync to the Kobo server. It might be handy if you have two devices logged into the same account and want separate shelves on them.
Quote:
• ShowBrightnessToast
When you first turn the light on on a Glo or Aura HD, a popup about adjusting the light is shown. This option gets set to true after that.

And apparently, Kobo calls popups "Toast".
Quote:
• QuickTourShown
Changes to false after the Quick tour has been shown when the device is new.
Quote:
• Debugging=true
WARNING this turns off sleep timeout, and burns battery.
• PromotionsAvailable
I think this is Aura HD and possibly Glo only. But, I haven't worked out where the promotions are displayed.
Quote:
[Browser]
• SwipeDialogShown=true
Might have something to do with the Wikipedia dialog, its possible to “swipe” the dialog pages without using the small page arrows on the button
[ReadingLife]
No, this is for the Aura HD. This uses swiping to turn pages in the library list. The first time the list is displayed, a popup is shown to explain this. When this is dismissed, the option is set to true.
Quote:
• readingAdobeShowPageNumbers
Set from the "Reading settings" page.
Quote:
• libraryShowCovers
The Aura HD can turn the cover display off in the library list.
Quote:
• readingBGColor
• readingTextColor
• readingTheme

Listed below are some strings listed after readingTheme, might be different themes
• Kepub-book-theme-
• Sepia
• Night
Hey maybe “Night” is a reversed display like the night mode hack. Or the readingBGColor and readingTextColor above can be used for the same effect.
That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Or, maybe I haven't set the option correctly. I can't work out how the other options would work. I was wondering if they might have been carried over from code shared with the iOS and Android apps.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-20-2013 at 01:21 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote