View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #62
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99-$2.99 for some historical fiction about historical women, by modern women novelists (prices should be the same in the usual stores in Canada & the US):

@ $1.99 (non-couponable) from Crown/Archetype and HarperCollins:
  • Nefertiti by Michelle Moran (Wikipedia), 1st in a series of standalones about Egyptian royalty, this one about the chief consort (Wikipedia) of the heretic pharoah Akhenaten, fabled as the most beautiful woman in the world.
  • Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross (Wikipedia), building on the popular legend of the probably-fictional medieval female pope (Wikipedia).
  • The Countess: A Novel of Elizabeth Bathory by Rebecca Johns (Wikipedia), about the infamous 16th century Hungarian noblewoman (Wikipedia) reputed to be among the inspirations for the Dracula legends.
  • The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper (SYKM, Wikipedia; also the author of a series of historical murder mysteries starring Elizabeth I, of which I've read a couple that seemed reasonably well-done), about Charlotte Bill (Wikipedia), who was a nanny to the children of the future King George V & Queen Mary, whom I first learned about from a Stephen Poliakoff film, The Lost Prince (Wikipedia), which is pretty decent (I have a Blu-Ray copy somewhere). ETA: some of her romantic suspense novels are also on sale for $0.99-$2.99, if you're interested.
  • Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates (Wikipedia), about Marilyn Monroe. This one was a finalist for the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, according to its Wikipedia entry.

@ $2.99 (couponable/VIP-eligible) from Sourcebooks Landmark:

The Tudor Rose by the late Margaret Campbell Barnes (Fantastic Fiction), a vintage historical novel about Elizabeth of York (Wikipedia), 3rd in her Shadows of the Crown sequence about famous troubled English queens, originally published in 1953.

@ $1.99 (non-couponable) from the Random Penguin House's Ballantine Books acquisition for an sfnal novel:

The Virgin's Daughter by Laura Andersen (ISFDB), 1st in her Tudor Legacy trilogy of speculative what-if alternate history drama novels, this one positing what if Elizabeth I had married and had a legitimate daughter as her heir (the author has previously written a trilogy about what-if Anne Boleyn had given Henry VIII a living son, and apparently this is the sequel to that), which looks mildly interesting, and a decent low cost to try.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-07-2017 at 11:21 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote