View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Regardless how how you read it, if this is not done, the books glitch in Kobo.. (For that matter, as of the latest batch of releases, books without a complete ToC also glitch in the Epub reader, but that's a different issue. I can safely call that one a bug.. But Kepub needing a ToC entry for every file has been 'as designed' since forever.)
Interesting. I read mostly epub2 books and I haven't seen a glitch due to an incomplete ToC -- my practice when editing an epub2 is to modify the ToC so the first page of the book contents (i.e., prologue, chapter 1, etc.) is the first entry in the toc.ncx. As for kepub needing a ToC entry for every spine listed file, it is pretty clear that a epub3 with a navigation document will not have all the spine files added into the navigation document. I've quoted the relevant portion of the Kobo documentation below:

**For ePub 2.0.1**, Kobo reading platforms populate the ToC menu in the book with the ToC from the file toc.ncx (which is in navMap). However, if the toc.ncx is not present, the TOC menu is populated by the Spine listing in the OPF.

When an OPF-spine item is not listed in the TOC.ncx, the Kobo CMS will create a listing for it using the filename or the opening words from the section. This listing will be displayed to the user in the TOC Menu across all reading platforms. This process may be removed in a future release. ePubs that use a nav.html TOC will not be impacted.

**For ePub 3.0**, Kobo platforms will read the ToC from the ToC table in the nav.html file. When a ToC table is not present, the next available table will be used. If the nav.html is not present, it will populate the ToC with the toc.ncx. If the toc.ncx is not present, it will populate the ToC with the spine listing in the OPF.

Edit: I generated two kepubs from an epub3 with a complete and incomplete ToC in both the nav.xhtml and toc.ncx files. I did not notice any issue with page counts in the non-listed files as compared to the version with the "complete" ToCs.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-29-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add experimentation results
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote