View Single Post
Old 10-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
bengalih
bengalih began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
PDF Annotations - what are you using?

So I'm just starting to use Calibre, and while it would not be my preferable "Reader" application, I believe it is going to become so due to how it handles annotations.

The fact that I can annotate from within the content-server reader and make it accessible on any platform is very useful. It still has many disadvantages with annotations (which I can get into if anyone want to discuss), but with all the pros/cons, I'm still leaning towards it.

However there is no ability to annotate PDF documents. I'm here asking what other people do for PDF annotation?

I looked into several options and the one that looked best to me from a device compatibility/sync/sharing perspective was Hypothes.is.

However there is a big limitation which is that it works with a browser extension. This means it can't be used on browsers which don't support extensions. They offer a "proxy service" that is supposed to deal with this, but it doesn't work for two reasons:
1) If your content-server is password protected, it doesn't seem to function with it
2) Even without password protection they seem to have moved away from an open proxy a year or so ago and so they only requests to certain well-known sites. This won't really work for access to documents on personal server.

So any discussion on this is welcome.

thanks
bengalih is offline   Reply With Quote