View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Boyue Likebook is orphaned. Meebook Brand replaced them. No support on Likebook and poor on Meebook. Boox seems to do Android OK. AFAIK the Pocketbook models don't work with Playstore, which is the main value of Android. I have the now unsupported Boyue Likebook Mars which I used with Google PlayBooks and Irish local library for a while.

Color contrast / brightness is abysmal compared to any current mono eink and 1/2 the resolution. No doubt why Amazon has the Fire Tablet for color and Kindles are monochrome. Boox, Pocketbook and madly overpriced Bigme are the color eink options and only worthwhile if you mostly read comics.

Kobo:
Good for metadata on series, collection, author & title and browse via those and Calibre integration. Good for text annotation export. Sage has onboard handwriting conversion to text, shapes, maths and checkboxes in the Advanced Notebooks. I have Libra, Libra2, Sage and Elipsa and have used or had: Touch c, Original H2O and Nia. It's best to use touch keyboard for annotating epubs on Sage. The Pen just "sketches" on PDFs (no conversion). The Advanced notebook allows export of docx with mix of converted to text, maths, shapes & checkboxes as well as free hand image based writing and drawing.

Android: Assuming properly supported PlayStore, then most ebook apps and some other apps will work. Some are unsuitable for eink, not just video and animation. Any of the 300 dpi mono Android will be similar screen quality to the Sage. There are a few models with older screens, but none are 300 dpi. Few Android models support the superior metadata based browsing of ebooks that Kobo, old Sony, Nook and Kindle have. Totally painful for 1000s of books.

I've a Sony PRS-350, gave away a good PRS-T2, returned a Sony PRS-T1 due to freeze bug, 3 Kindles (used others). Did have a Nook, reMarkable and iRiver Story Cover.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-31-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote