View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 02:24 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never heard of anyone making Windows case sensitive. It's a silly idea (IMHO).
People have been doing that for over 25 years. Some people need it.
Also Calibre doesn't work well with FAT32 on Windows, but works perfectly with NTFS or Ext4 on Linux simply by copying everything.

Quote:
That's just time consuming and (IMHO) useless snd will most likely cause all kinds of issues.
No more time consuming than copying to a new Win 10 (near EOL?) or new Win 11 install.
I can buy a S/H laptop here locally with 2 year warranty for Win10 (some will run Win 11). It's a real alternative to a new laptop.

Quote:
Moving to Linux is a really bad idea. Windows works better.
Oh, absolutely true from NT 3.1 (1993) till about 2006 or 2007 (XP).
Not been true since even before Vista. It's been a very reasonable alternative since Win8 came unless you needed some application unavailable. Need an older XP or Vista or win 7 32 bit program that doesn't run on Win10 or win 11 64 bit? MS bundled compatibility solution is actually Vbox, same as included with Linux. The MS tool to clone an old PC/Laptop for a Win10 VM makes a file that works on Linux. It's the same VBox essentially.

I do have a win 10 laptop and encountered this. Being that I know how to manually change the not-user partitions I was able to sort this. Most window users would not understand the MS instructions.
https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/...y_environment/

Lots of people have laptops but don't actually take them anywhere. A non-laptop thus can be a cheap alternative, but I have a UPS for my Dell Optiplex 7050 to have laptop piece of mind on power glitches. It was €150 S/H with a 512 GB SSD and 16 G RAM and local (no shipping) 2 year warranty. I easily plugged in a DVD /CD writer from a scrapped laptop and an additional 4T Sata 3.5" HDD. You can fit 2x 2.5" SATA in the caddy.

I have a much newer laptop, but the 7050 is so much better.

Many people only use a tablet/phone OTG now and it's just people using libraries, cafes, hot-desking, mixing WFH & office etc that need laptops.

But a good enough S/H laptop with warranty is cheap. Non-gamer ones are cheap new. A Mac laptop is far more expensive.
You can also buy new laptops without Windows.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote