View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #31
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Otherwise, I probably need to do one more rsync and turn off --ignore-existing just to make sure I'm truly getting everything. If I'm remembering my rsync-fu, even if it flags my entire library as needing to copy, it should basically skip the files and transfer 0/0 bytes on each one when it determines that the hashes between the source and destination of each EPUB are the same, right?
I don't know about rsync ports to other OS'es, but from the Linux perspective, by default rsync selects which files to copy based on a changed timestamp or a changed file size. Related to this, I can envision potential issues determining what needs to be copied or not if you are rsync'ing from one OS to a different OS that doesn't manage timestamps in the same manner. Or if using CIFS or Samba or something like that. Rsync does not automatically use a hash of file contents to determine if a copy is required or not - you have to tell it that is what you want it to do with the --checksum option.

You definitely want to turn off --ignore-existing. Permanently. That kills the majority of the purpose for the backup in this case where things are changing (e.g., metadata.db)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote