View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=lohtse;2683255]what are the advantages of Kepubs over Epubs???

And can you convert epubs to Kepubs?
/QUOTE]

Another advantage of kepub over epub is that the renderer used for the .kepub.epub files is epub3 compliant. So far for me, the main usefulness has been when using non-Latin alphabets especially those are not written in a left to right, top to bottom layout. You can check the IDPF website for more on information on epub3, the overview ( http://www.idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-overview.html ) is a good starting spot.

Jgoguen's plugin for Calibre converts .epub to .kepub.epub on the fly as they are sent to your Kobo reader. These converted files do not offer several of the advantages of Kobo purchased ebooks such as synchronization of reading position and the latest Kobo firmware has removed the extended reading stats though that is not much of a loss since I found them to be fairly useless. As an example, my average time to read a book was 78 minutes but the time to finish the current chapter was shown as 48 minutes

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2013 at 02:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote