View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I think the presentation of books on a Kindle, and all of them rendering a pages in Adobe ePub--including the Kobo eREaders--look like the old original paperback books. In those days paperbacks were characterized by the use of the cheapest methods possible:

Text was splashed on the page, cramming as much text as possible on small pages with narrow margins on cheap paper.

KePubs on the Kobo readers allow, but don't mandate, a more attractive page, more like that of trade paperbacks. That's especially true of the Aura HD with its larger screen however it's the kePub underneath that makes it possible to give the book pleasing fonts that you can customize to your liking by weighting them and sharpening them as well as sizing them. You can easily import a font of your choice as well.

The Kobo readers give you the title of the current book at the top of the page and they display page numbers as the name of the current chapter and page: "The 6th Test: Garnering Invitations -- Page 3 of 42."

There is more white space in the Kobo readers and why not? you're not having to pay for more paper, are you.

You can probably tell I am quite partial to kePubs on the Kobo readers.
I too normally prefer kepubs (though occasionally I would like a text crammed page, it seems right for certain texts somehow...) but it's still a matter of preference. Many on this site have complained about the kepub presentation and want to eliminate the aforementioned white spaces. Like I said, it's a matter of preference.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote