View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
KePubs on the Kobo readers allow, but don't mandate, a more attractive page, more like that of trade paperbacks. That's especially true of the Aura HD with its larger screen however it's the kePub underneath that makes it possible to give the book pleasing fonts that you can customize to your liking by weighting them and sharpening them as well as sizing them. You can easily import a font of your choice as well.
Uh ? Are you sure of this. I have only ePub (v2 and v3) on my AuraHD (uploaded manually, not via Calibre) and I am able to choose my font for rendering the text, as well as specifying the margins, interlines, sharpness, etc.

The publishing industry is going to the direction of a unique standardised format: ePub3. They probably learn their lesson watching over the fiasco of the musical industry: incompatible formats for the player, non-standard metadata, etc.

For me, the kepub format is a regression. The metadata concerning the user reading are no part of the file format, but must be kept separately. Amazon is forcing a walled environment for the Kindle for locking-in the user, but complains are growing (at least in Europe) over the consumer's rights of interoperability and sharing.
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote