View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
An advantage for ePub are highlighting and annotations for side-loaded books. KePub only supports highlighting and annotations for books bought from Kobo (as far as I can tell).
sorry, you may be confusing devices with formats. Epub and Kepub are formats, and you can sideloads both kepub and epub files on a Kobo. The difference is that the device uses two different rendering engines for the two formats.

Having said that, you can highlight an epub as well as a kepub using a Kobo reader (in my experience epub highlights appear slightly darker than kepub, but it could be me). Another advantage of the Kepub over the epub format is that you see a pop-up preview of the footnotes in a book, which you do not in an epub file.

There are many more differences discussed from the second link I put above (including handling of languages, handling of hyperlinks, storing of annotations, etc.).

Loosely speaking, you can get an epub or a kepub from any shop: if you buy directly from kobo, you have two options, either direct sync with your device (if you like the native kepub), or you can download an ADE epub and sideload it on your device if you prefer that format.

If you buy an epub from another provider, you can either sideload it as such, or you can use the Kobo Touch Extended Calibre plugin to send it as a Kepub to your device (you can do so also with any epub downloaded from kobo, though why would you?)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote