View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 07:23 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
/system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/bin/install-recovery.sh is what overwrites recovery. I'm not sure when/how it is triggered.

If it's really, really dead you may need UART or power analysis to figure out what it's doing.

Oops! Our messages crossed. What about recovery?
My Nook shows up as a fastboot device on Linux... but not on Mac or Windows. If I open a terminal window on either of the latter two and type "fastboot devices", the terminal freezes.

On Linux, I tried fastboot reboot recovery as well as fastboot reboot boot loader. What I see in terminal tells me that it happened, but I'm not so sure that anything happened.

The one good thing about this is that the Nook isn't my main ereader, so I don't feel much pressure to get it fixed quickly. If it is dead, I'd only lose the money I spent to buy it. Whether or not I get this one running again, I may not buy another Nook. B&N's decision to add password protection in the most recent firmware to keep people from accessing USB debugging did it for me.

In fact, the only reason I was trying to root this device to begin with was to see if I could discover the password the firmware is looking for, for the sake of others who might be interested.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote