View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 06:32 PM   #1
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook, Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
How dictionaries work, and Russian

I am trying to read Russian, using the Kobo Russian-English dictionary (my Russian is not good enough to use Russian-Russian). The dictionary is terrible at recognizing word endings; often when it is obvious what the nominative singular of a regular noun would be, or the infinitive of a verb, the dictionary fails to find the word and looks up another word which happens to have the same start but a few letters different at the end.

Is this a problem with all online dictionaries, that all they can do is a very simple pattern match on words, or can any have some basic knowledge of structure built in? Surely even a set of regexes could do something more towards finding the root form of a word?

Or, have I just used a bad dictionary?

Graham
marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote