View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post
When I tried to convert a docx document to epub & kepub today in Calibre some weird things happened (when viewed via the Caliber ebook viewer):

1) Sub-headings that I wanted to be within a chapter had a page-break applied to them despite this not being the case in Word.
I suspect that that is to do with your settings in Calibre. I am afraid that I'm not a Calibre user, and certainly not an expert, but you seem to be trying to run before you can walk.

Quote:
2) Some fonts appear in their italic form where in Word the font was in its regular mode.
Are you SURE that you correctly embedded all the fonts that the book requires?

Quote:
3) With some fonts the space before an bolded or italicised word disappeared so I had two words stuck together.
Oh, man...hey guys? Anyone remember this? I could swear that quite a while back--5 years or so?--something caused this, and it was discussed here. The result of an automatic sequence, like regex. And, secondly, are you sure that the BOLD and ITALIC were done correctly by ePUB Tools, before you started?

Quote:
4) With some fonts bolded and italicised words appear in their regular form.
How many fonts do you have going? If you used a Mac computer, (or, this can also happen with Windows, but I see it a lot with Mac users), you could have accidentally put spans into the file, e.g.:

Code:
<span class="ooops">this is italics.</span>
With the class having the FONT Times New Roman Italic (or whatever) specified. That's all well and good until--ooopsy--you make an ePUB and don't have Times New Roman Italic in the Fonts sub-directory. Is that possible?

Quote:
I have looked at the outputted epub files in the Calibre epub editor, and was able to figure-out how to fix issue 1, but am at a loss for the other issues at this point. I tried applying the bold tags to words what should of been bolded but weren't, but those tags didn't take. And I did not see anything that would allow me to correct the wrongly italicised fonts.

Any advice that can be provided will be appreciated.
What do you mean, they didn't "take?" Is the bold face of the selected font family embedded? For example, if your body/heading font is, say, Times New Roman, you have to install TNR Regular, plus TNR Italic, plus TNR Bold. Is that in the ePUB?

In fact, open the editor and tell us what fonts ARE in there, that would likely help.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote