View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
NickelSeries: Integrated EPUB/KEPUB series metadata support

NickelSeries
I've been working on a small mod to add built-in support for parsing series (and subtitle) metadata on sideloaded books.

To install it, copy KoboRoot.tgz to KOBOeReader/.kobo the same way you would with a firmware update.
Features:
  • Works on EPUB and KEPUB files.
  • Compatible with the Calibre Kobo plugin.
  • Compatible with Calibre or EPUB3 series metadata (Calibre takes precedence).
  • Will not override Nickel if Kobo ends up implementing it.
  • Compatible with firmware 3.19.5761+.
  • Survives firmware updates.
  • Does not modify any system files, single file only.
  • Easy to uninstall (either delete it over telnet/ssh or create a file named `ns_uninstall` in the KOBOeReader partition).
  • Metadata appears instantly.
  • Will also add subtitle metadata (EPUB3 or a Calibre custom column named `#subtitle`).

Troubleshooting:
  • How do I uninstall NickelSeries?
    Create a file named `ns_uninstall` (without any extension) in the KOBOeReader partition and reboot.
  • How do I uninstall NickelSeries manually?
    Connect over Telnet/SSH and delete `/usr/local/Kobo/imageformats/libns.so`. A
    hard factory reset will also remove it.
  • Series metadata is incorrect or missing for imported books.
    Please report the issue and post a copy of the OPF document from within the EPUB.
  • I installed NickelSeries and nothing changed!
    NickelSeries doesn't parse metadata for existing books. To do this, you can use seriesmeta with the argument `--no-persist`.
  • The series metadata changes after a reboot or USB connection.
    If you use Calibre or seriesmeta, those will take precedence.
  • Will this conflict with Calibre or Kobo-UNCaGED?
    No. For the initial import, NickelSeries prioritizes the `calibre:series` meta tags. For changes afterwards, NickelSeries doesn't override them.
  • My Kobo crashes when I try and import a book.
    This issue is unlikely to occur, but if it does, you can uninstall NickelSeries the usual way (see above). If possible, it would also be helpful if you could report the error and post the syslog.

Changelog:
  • v1 (2020-07-19, 8c5d318): First stable version, all features implemented.
  • v2 (2020-07-24, 3c77ac0): Switched to NickelHook, improved metadata parsing, added support for subtitle metadata, fixed parsing books with Unicode filenames.
  • v3 (2020-08-12, a06f1ac): Added support for using series metadata without an index.
  • v4 (2023-10-13, 0deffca): Fix bug in EPUB3 series metadata parsing due to undefined behavior.

Download | Source Code
Attached Files
File Type: zip NickelSeries_v1-8c5d318.zip (54.3 KB, 719 views)
File Type: zip NickelSeries_v2-3c77ac0.zip (70.9 KB, 857 views)
File Type: zip NickelSeries_v3-a06f1ac.zip (70.4 KB, 1821 views)
File Type: zip NickelSeries_v4-0deffca.zip (70.1 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by geek1011; 10-13-2023 at 06:14 PM. Reason: v4
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote