View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
NickelMenu is really great for series on Kobo as it allows you to reconnect your Kobo to Calibre for the series update without having to unplug and replug the USB cable. It's done in software. Works very well.
Eventually, I got tired of doing that too, especially with the slow SD card (seriesmeta is painfully slow on-device) and the USB connection issues I've been having. That's the main reason why I made this. NickelSeries makes the process work as well as if Kobo had implemented it themselves (possible better, as NS supports Calibre's metadata as well as the less-common official EPUB3 one).

I had the idea for this last year, but I didn't want it enough for it to be worth implementing the hooks, building the toolchain, and so on. Once we made NickelMenu, most of the groundwork (toolchain, Qt sysroot, runtime hooking, library loading, failsafe) was already done, leaving just the actual hook and series metadata parsing. A few months ago, I did the KEPUB part in an hour or two, but put it aside in favour of working on more NM features (Adobe EPUB is significantly more complicated to do). Yesterday, I finished implementing Adobe EPUB support and cleaning up the code.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-20-2020 at 04:23 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote