View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygreq View Post
I already got the whole idea with NAS and Calibre not playing well together. But NAS is much better that having them on 8 external HDDs all connected to a single laptop that I wanted to take with me from time to time.

NAS did wonders for me until now with the whole caltrash issue. So the whole point of the post was for suggestions on how to fix the caltrash issue.
The alternative to NAS is not 8 external HDDs.

NAS fundamentally is incompatible with many applications, it's for copies of files, not remote files for a local application.
Even without .caltrash the SQLight files used by Calibre and many applications needs to be on local storage.

You can use the content server, or have potentially up to a million ebooks on an SD card or USB stick or USB HDD (not using exFAT or FAT32, but the main native fs, such as NTFS, ext4 or Apple HPFS etc).

You aren't running IPTV streaming or even your own Spotify (and scaleable versions of those don't share the actual files!).

Maybe your NAS can run Linux programs locally so could run Calibre and the content server.

You can't share files that are used by the SQLight API over any kind of network. Actually network aware / compatible DB2, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL and MariaDB don't share files over the network. The remote database uses local files.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-22-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote