View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
cuavsfan
cuavsfan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Japanese w/ Integrated Dictionary Support

I've spent a lot of time searching through threads here (as well as around the internet) and haven't been able to find what I want, so I'm hoping somebody here can help.

The main reason I'm looking for an electronic reader is to make it easier on myself when reading Japanese (in which I am not fluent). When I read Japanese books now I spend a decent amount of time looking up words (in an electronic dictionary), and I'm hoping that I can find something that can all but eliminate that time and allow me to read faster / more. Assuming I find such a device being able to do a lot of my English reading on there would be a nice bonus, but that's not really my motivating factor.

Features I want:
1) Native support for Japanese text. (Not just pdfs w/ embedded fonts, but I'd like to be able to easily transfer ebook formats, plain text, etc.)
2) Built in dictionary support. I want to be able to click on a (Japanese) word and have a popup dictionary of some kind. Ideally I could set it so the dictionary would go either Japanese to English -OR- Japanese to Japanese, but at the minimum I'd need the J-->E option.

Does something like this exist? Cost isn't necessarily a big issue, though I plan on using this pretty much as a reader and don't really need extra things like internet, music, etc. that would bring it up. I think I'd prefer a dedicated reader, but if I could only get this functionality out of something like an iPad I'd probably end up going with that. I'd be perfectly willing to import something as long as I'd be able to use it to do what I want.

Thanks in advance!
cuavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote