View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 11:36 AM   #14
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's just a patched version of Android. Nearly pointless with the version that has Playstore.
It's not "just a patched version of android". A custom ROM is usually:

- More battery friendly (thanks to all bloatware removed)
- More privacy friendly (for those who actually don't like Google spywares)
- Snappier than the stock rom (as it is most of the time lighter than the stock firmware)

While for the GAPPS, F-droid and Aurora store are very good alternatives to Google apps.

So yes, there is definitely some interest in getting a custom rom on any Android device.

That being said, I am a privacy, "less is more" and anti-GAFAM user. Everytime I buy a device, I make sure it's as open (from a software standpoint) as possible.

So yes, an open e-ink Android tablet would be a plus. I'm actually eagerly waiting for it.

While for the stylus, if the custom ROM is well built, you don't loose it (especially with latest Android versions). As an example, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE and with another guy, we adapted a custom recovery (to flash custom ROM's) on it. Recovery and ROM's preserve the use of the S-Pen.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote