Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
BrianR
BrianR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
Question Kobo Glo HD web browser

I have a Kobo Glo HD and have not been able to get onto the web other than to the Kobo bookstore. The manual is no help and I had assumed that there was no web browser. However, reading some of your posts makes me think that I should be able to access the internet. How do you do it?
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Settings | Beta Features | Web Browser, once you have opened it it will show up as a tile on the home screen, though it might get bumped off as you open other things if you don't use it regularly.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
BrianR

Thumbs up Problem answered

Thanks, Jim. That worked perfectly. So easy, once you know how. I can't think why they omit this from the guide - perish the thought that there trying to lock you in to buying their books!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Thanks, Jim. That worked perfectly. So easy, once you know how. I can't think why they omit this from the guide - perish the thought that there trying to lock you in to buying their books!
What I found was that even for checking my various email accounts, the usability was limited. Audio is not available, video is extremely limited, many web features are not supported. This leads to my personal opinion being that given the limitations of the web browser, Kobo is attempting to avoid a massive number of complaints by marking it as a beta feature.

Life is too short to deal with avoidable annoyances so I purchase virtually all my books using other devices and then sync them using ether wireless or USB.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
I only use the Kobo web browser with writing heavy websites such as FictionPress and ArchiveOfOurOwn (and often these sites are in their mobile versions). Even then I find using some those sites filtering features (eg: sort by ratting, sort by word length) to be very problematic and often my selections are not recognised. Also the text displayed on these sites need to be darker (black, not grey for the text in the body of the fic/article) and the e-ink screen often refreshes multiple times in a row for no obvious reason (although in some cases this may be due to the ads on website).

For any Kobo staff lurking in these forums the steps to recreate an example of my problem is below (NOTE: I use a Kobo Aura H2O with the most recent firmware and no unofficial modifications to the Kobo e-Reader software):

1) On FanFiction.net select one of the top works in any category (the site should open in its mobile version).
Movies -> How to Train Your Dragon

2) At the bottom of the webpage change some of the result filters
SORT: change UPDATE DATE to FAVORITES
LENGHT: change ALL to >5000

Here you will find that your selections are often not registered by the website once the selection menu disappears.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Onedutch
Onedutch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Are you able to download PDF or Epub from the webbrowser (website), it worked for allmost a year. Looks like it is broken since the last firmware update.
Onedutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedutch View Post
Are you able to download PDF or Epub from the webbrowser (website), it worked for allmost a year. Looks like it is broken since the last firmware update.
I just downloaded an epub from Calibre content server using the browser on my Glo HD running the latest firmware. Seems to be working fine here.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe the issue is more likely related to the configuration of thr Web server he is attempting to download material from.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Glo and an Aura, not a Glo HD, but my main use of the web browser is to access books I keep in Dropbox. It's a bit clumsy but it works just fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
BrianR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Glo and an Aura, not a Glo HD, but my main use of the web browser is to access books I keep in Dropbox. It's a bit clumsy but it works just fine.

Barry
I have tried to download from Dropbox, without success. I can access the site, select the file, but when I click on download, or on the download icon at the top of the page, nothing happens.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
I have tried to download from Dropbox, without success. I can access the site, select the file, but when I click on download, or on the download icon at the top of the page, nothing happens.
That is because of a change on the dropbox site, older firmware versions can no longer download from the mobile version of the dropbox site either.

However you should still be able to download from the desktop version of the site. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=332
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote