Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Lung Bing
Lung Bing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle deletes books, but not the folder they were in.

I only ever use Calibre to put books on my Kindle Paperwhite seventh generation.
After I've read them I delete them using the Kindle.

I've now found hundreds of empty folders in the /documents folder
of my Kindle. They are the author folder and the book folder
of the books I have read.

I've done a quick test and Calibre of course removes both when you
delete a book from the device. But shouldn't the Kindle also do this?
Lung Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been using Kindles for about 12 years and I haven't ever seen the Kindles delete anything but the books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Best Thing you can do is to jailbreak your kindle and then install a FileBrowser so you can delete the folders manually. KoReader is also nice since you can wipe the .sdr folders etc.

And for the future.. i recommend using a neat folder structure to sort all books you have, that makes it a lot easier to manage this kind of stuff. i as an example have an folder for mobi files and epub. And in this folders i have folders like "Fantasy & Light Novel", "Science" etc.. and in this folders i have individual books in their own folder. So if i am done with reading a book, all i have to do is move into the folder, delete it, done. since it sorted its relative easy to find and delete this folders when i sideload new books onto my kindle. so i usually only delete this empty folders when i am loading new books onto my kindle.

Last edited by Kusuri; 08-25-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Bing View Post
I only ever use Calibre to put books on my Kindle Paperwhite seventh generation.
After I've read them I delete them using the Kindle.

I've now found hundreds of empty folders in the /documents folder
of my Kindle. They are the author folder and the book folder
of the books I have read.

I've done a quick test and Calibre of course removes both when you
delete a book from the device. But shouldn't the Kindle also do this?
In Calibre, go to Preferences > Plugins. Search for the Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage Device Interface driver and ones selected, click the Customize plugin button. You can deselect Use sub-folders and change the Save template to what you want. Or you can leavfe use sub-folders checked and change the Save temple to use just one specific sub-folder. I use a directory called books.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-25-2022 at 04:14 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
Best Thing you can do is to jailbreak your kindle and then install a FileBrowser so you can delete the folders manually. KoReader is also nice since you can wipe the .sdr folders etc.

And for the future.. i recommend using a neat folder structure to sort all books you have, that makes it a lot easier to manage this kind of stuff. i as an example have an folder for mobi files and epub. And in this folders i have folders like "Fantasy & Light Novel", "Science" etc.. and in this folders i have individual books in their own folder. So if i am done with reading a book, all i have to do is move into the folder, delete it, done. since it sorted its relative easy to find and delete this folders when i sideload new books onto my kindle. so i usually only delete this empty folders when i am loading new books onto my kindle.
Why jailbreak just to delete these unwanted directories? You can plug the Kindle into the computer and use a file browser such as Windows Explorer (if on Windows) to delete these directories.
Advert
Old 08-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Best Thing you can do is to jailbreak your kindle and then install a FileBrowser so you can delete the folders manually. KoReader is also nice since you can wipe the .sdr folders etc..
Crazy idea. You can easily delete folders from Mac, Windows, Linus and even from some Android phones/tablets when you connect Kindle via USB.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why jailbreak just to delete these unwanted directories?
you should jailbreak the kindle anyway imho. jailbreaking a kindle brings you so many good things and opens up so many new features. it would be dumb NOT to jailbreak it. even if you don't want to use it for mentioned usecase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Crazy idea. You can easily delete folders from Mac, Windows, Linus and even from some Android phones/tablets when you connect Kindle via USB.

Crazy Idea - many people use their kindles at places where they don't just can plug them in into a computer. i as an example use my kindle while not at home or while laying in bed before i go sleeping and only plug it into my computer if i sideload new books on them. other people take their kindle with them on vacation where they don't have pc's.

you don't always have a pc and usb cable with you, but you always have the kindle self with you if you want to delete the files. the whole point about a kindle is that you can load it up with a ton of books and then read books for weeks, months or longer on it without having to use a computer or additional device.. you just need to charge it and thats it. so why should i want to always plug my kindle into a computer just to delete folders? if you sideload new stuff anyway.. okay. but if not.. why not do it locally on the kindle instead. its quicker.

i have times where i read 1 book in 1-2 days. so i would have to plug in my kindle every 1-2 days into my computer just to delete a single file. this means i first have to switch on my computer if its not already, search the usb cable, plug the usb cable in, navigate through the folder structure to find the specific folder, delete it, unplug the usb cable, shut down the computer (if needed). instead of just opening the filemanager on the kindle, go to the folder, hit delete, done.

doing it on your kindle is way quicker.

Last edited by Kusuri; 08-26-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
i have times where i read 1 book in 1-2 days. so i would have to plug in my kindle every 1-2 days into my computer just to delete a single file. this means i first have to switch on my computer if its not already, search the usb cable, plug the usb cable in, navigate through the folder structure to find the specific folder, delete it, unplug the usb cable, shut down the computer (if needed). instead of just opening the filemanager on the kindle, go to the folder, hit delete, done.

doing it on your kindle is way quicker.
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, is it a necessity delete a book as soon as you finish it? Are you not allowed to read a new book until the old one is deleted?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #9
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
^^Yea. Or just put your entire to-read-list in your Kindle.
That's the purpose of eReaders in the first place. To carry your whole library with you.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
^^Yea. Or just put your entire to-read-list in your Kindle.
That's the purpose of eReaders in the first place. To carry your whole library with you.
Not if you do not have enough space for your entire library. Personally, if you have your entire library and it's large enough, finding something to read is could be rather difficult especially on a Kindle that's not jailbroken where Calibre cannot manage collections.

Even though I have a Kobo and eBook management blows away a jailbroken Kindle, I would still not want all of my library on board.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #11
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not if you do not have enough space for your entire library. Personally, if you have your entire library and it's large enough, finding something to read is could be rather difficult especially on a Kindle that's not jailbroken where Calibre cannot manage collections.

Even though I have a Kobo and eBook management blows away a jailbroken Kindle, I would still not want all of my library on board.
Even after 5 months, I'm still in the process of putting my library in my Kindle. My library isn't that big so it's still manageable for me. Even I don't think it's wise to put 30k books in your device. That's a nightmare to navigate through. But I recommended putting in at least your TBR list because Kusuri's usecase just doesn't make much sense to me. There's really no need to immediately delete a book before you start on a new book.

I usually read books by series so if I found a series I wanna read it takes me quite a while to get through them, which cuts down the time I spend looking through my books. So even if I'm on a trip without an access to my computer or the internet, I have a cushy buffer on my reading list.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even after 5 months, I'm still in the process of putting my library in my Kindle. My library isn't that big so it's still manageable for me. Even I don't think it's wise to put 30k books in your device. That's a nightmare to navigate through. But I recommended putting in at least your TBR list because Kusuri's usecase just doesn't make much sense to me. There's really no need to immediately delete a book before you start on a new book.
Which is why I long ago said goodbye to worrying about directory structure and moved to search to locate books. Being able to search by title, author and series makes it relatively easy to locate a book.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:32 AM   #13
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which is why I long ago said goodbye to worrying about directory structure and moved to search to locate books. Being able to search by title, author and series makes it relatively easy to locate a book.
I find myself doing the same. I have calibre set to put the series info in the title of the book so it's easier to search.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:36 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I find myself doing the same. I have calibre set to put the series info in the title of the book so it's easier to search.
How primitive... Doesn't every modern ereader have a series field that is searchable?
Old 08-27-2022, 01:46 AM   #15
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How primitive... Doesn't every modern ereader have a series field that is searchable?
Amazon is primitive like that.