Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Omnibus Series Index Help

What is the best way to set the series index for an Omnibus that spans only SOME books in a series? If I have an omnibus that spans all the books I just set the index for 0 but I have some that are only a few books in a complete series. The series index only allows for single or floating digits but not a span.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
What is the best way to set the series index for an Omnibus that spans only SOME books in a series? If I have an omnibus that spans all the books I just set the index for 0 but I have some that are only a few books in a complete series. The series index only allows for single or floating digits but not a span.
My standard is to enter the first book in the set as the integral and the last book in the set as the fractional. For a set of say, book 4 to book 7 in a series, I would enter the series number as 4.07, a set that was books 1 to 9 in a series would use 1.09.

As long as I don't have too many series that have more than 100 members and are available as an omnibus, it works for me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #3
tspear
Enthusiast
tspear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My standard is to enter the first book in the set as the integral and the last book in the set as the fractional. For a set of say, book 4 to book 7 in a series, I would enter the series number as 4.07, a set that was books 1 to 9 in a series would use 1.09.

As long as I don't have too many series that have more than 100 members and are available as an omnibus, it works for me.
Thanks, I am going to use your idea.

Tim
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:55 AM   #4
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:

Goes perhaps a little weird if the end number of the range is a multiple of 10. An omnibus consisting of books 8-10 would be rendered as '8.1'.
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavies View Post
Goes perhaps a little weird if the end number of the range is a multiple of 10. An omnibus consisting of books 8-10 would be rendered as '8.1'.
That can happen occasionally but a rarity. More commonly, I see an omnibus with books 10-12 so 10.12 as the series index.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2023, 12:55 AM   #6
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
That can happen occasionally but a rarity. More commonly, I see an omnibus with books 10-12 so 10.12 as the series index.
Indeed, but 'rare' is not the same as 'never', so I figured it was worth mentioning. In my experience the "that never happens" things are the ones that really confuse people when they actually do
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:58 AM   #7
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I would add OB (8-10) to the title and the next series index starts with 11.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #8
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I like DNSB's suggestion and have implemented it myself. But, what about the rare case where an omnibus is missing an entry. For example, Hal Clement's Heavy Planet includes books 1 and 3 of the Mesklin series. I've written it as 1.03, and at the end of the day the reading order isn't crtitical but I'm curious how others might deal with this.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:47 PM   #9
tspear
Enthusiast
tspear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
I like DNSB's suggestion and have implemented it myself. But, what about the rare case where an omnibus is missing an entry. For example, Hal Clement's Heavy Planet includes books 1 and 3 of the Mesklin series. I've written it as 1.03, and at the end of the day the reading order isn't crtitical but I'm curious how others might deal with this.
In that case, I am likely to use the ePub splitter and separate the two books.
Throw the original ePub in the data directory for both books.
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote