Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2024, 12:18 PM   #1
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Locking screen orientation

I know how to lock the orientation of my Libra H2O's screen to portrait. That's easy enough. But it still keeps turning upside-down if I tip the screen just slightly away from me.

I always hold my e-reader in my left hand, so I'd like the orientation to be completely locked down with the page-turn buttons always to the left of the text. I don't want it to rotate at all.

Is this possible? If so, how?
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
I think if you turn devmodeon, there is a place where you can set the angle at which the rotation kicks in. Maybe you could try changing this?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #3
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I think if you turn devmodeon, there is a place where you can set the angle at which the rotation kicks in. Maybe you could try changing this?
Thanks. Unfortunately, that's just gone over my head. Perhaps I should have said "Is this easily possible?"
Old 06-07-2024, 01:18 PM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately, that's just gone over my head. Perhaps I should have said "Is this easily possible?"
Haha, from your MyBooks or Home Screen, press search, type "devmodeon" (no quote marks) in search box.

Press enter, it will say 'No results found'.

Press More, then press Settings, then press Device Information. At the bottom of this screen you will see Developer Options. Press this. Go to page 3 of 4 (might be different on the H20, mine is the Libra Colour, so has some more options for color etc.). There you will an Orientation menu. In that section there are items called Z-lock angle threshold, and Back/Front trip angle, both in degrees. Oh darn it!! They only have drop-down values, I was thinking you might be able to toggle them off.

But, you should be able to improve its behavior by playing with these angles, but not fix it in place in orientation. Maybe there is a patch to do this?? I don’t use patches.

Turn developer mode off by entering devmodeoff and following the instructions as per devmodeon. Important as the H2O dev mode leaves it vulnerable to potential hacking.

This all sounds complicated, but it takes about ten seconds, and is actually easy.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
But, you should be able to improve its behavior by playing with these angles, but not fix it in place in orientation. Maybe there is a patch to do this?? I don’t use patches.
Thank you very much. I can follow step-by-step instructions like those, and have done so. That is an improvement. At least the text doesn't now turn upside down every time I put the reader down on the table.

But, as you say, it doesn't completely lock the orientation, which is what I wanted.

I guess that I was hoping that someone might point me to a patch.
Advert
Old 06-07-2024, 04:31 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I believe you can do this with NickelMenu by creating an orientation menu entry that forces portrait mode.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 04:41 PM   #7
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I believe you can do this with NickelMenu by creating an orientation menu entry that forces portrait mode.
Thanks. I think.

Firstly, that's gone over my head again

Secondly, how is this different from the standard Settings/Reading Settings/Reading Orientation option? I've already got that set to Portrait, but it doesn't keep the page turn buttons to the left of the text. It still inverts.
Old 06-07-2024, 05:24 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The NickelMenu item has Portrait, Inverted Portrait, Landscape, Inverted Landscape, Invert and Swap as options. I've never used it but it might lock the orientation to whichever you choose.

Quote:
nickel_orientation - one of:
# portrait (4.13.12638+)
# landscape (4.13.12638+)
# inverted_portrait (4.13.12638+)
# inverted_landscape (4.13.12638+)
# invert (4.13.12638+) - Toggles between inverted/non-inverted (preserves side) (this will not work if used in a chain with swap)
# swap (4.13.12638+)
Code:
menu_item : main    : Portrait             : nickel_orientation          : portrait
menu_item : main    : Landscape            : nickel_orientation          : landscape
menu_item : main    : Inverted Portrait    : nickel_orientation          : inverted_portrait
menu_item : main    : Inverted Landscape   : nickel_orientation          : inverted_landscape
menu_item : main    : Invert Orientation   : nickel_orientation          : invert
menu_item : main    : Swap                 : nickel_orientation          : swap

Last edited by DNSB; 06-07-2024 at 05:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 05:43 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never used it either, so I don't know if it locks the orientation or simply changes it without using the accelerometer. On devices that don't support rotation natively, the change would have to be permanent, since the device can't rotate on its own.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:37 AM   #10
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The NickelMenu item has Portrait, Inverted Portrait, Landscape, Inverted Landscape, Invert and Swap as options. I've never used it but it might lock the orientation to whichever you choose.
Thanks. I guess I need to get to grips with NickelMenu, then.
Old 06-08-2024, 05:02 AM   #11
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Well, I've managed to install NickelMenu, and have the menu icon at the bottom right of my home screen. So far, so good.

Now I have to write a config file for it. I've opened the documentation that explains it, but can't make head nor tail of it. Is there a standard config file anywhere that I can copy on to my device? It looks as if there's all sorts of stuff that might be of interest, beyond just the one option that led me to this point. But I don't have the background knowledge that seems to be needed to get it going.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:50 AM   #12
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
Well, I've managed to install NickelMenu, and have the menu icon at the bottom right of my home screen. So far, so good.

Now I have to write a config file for it. I've opened the documentation that explains it, but can't make head nor tail of it. Is there a standard config file anywhere that I can copy on to my device? It looks as if there's all sorts of stuff that might be of interest, beyond just the one option that led me to this point. But I don't have the background knowledge that seems to be needed to get it going.
Please find this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1300
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 12:41 PM   #13
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post
Thank you.

By combining bits of that and bits of another sample file that I found with Google's help, I've now got closer to the point that I wanted. I can now set the orientation to what I want. Unfortunately, that fix doesn't seem to persist through even a sleep/wake cycle, let alone a reboot. What I'd really like is to lock it down, so that it's always in inverted portrait mode, without any need to tell it to use that layout every time I turn it on.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:57 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard

You'd probably need to do some messing around in the terminal to disable the accelerometer and force a specific orientation with a shell script every time you wake or boot. That's beyond the scope of what NickelMenu can do.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:59 PM   #15
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You'd probably need to do some messing around in the terminal to disable the accelerometer and force a specific orientation with a shell script every time you wake or boot. That's beyond the scope of what NickelMenu can do.
Fair enough. Thank you.