Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Kobo Reader for PC

Will the current Kobo Reader for PC operate on my Windows 7 machine? I'm considering getting a Kobo Aura HD and would synchronize my books via my pc since it would also take care of my collections list.

If it doesn't is there an older version of it that would work.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I rarely open Kobo Reader for PC (I buy books from many places and prefer to sideload them all), I did just have to update it recently when I bought a spare Glo, and it works fine on my Windows 7 x64 system.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok great, thank you. When you go to Kobo's site, it makes it sound like their software will on work on pc's that have Window 8 they even have a link to Microsoft so you can get it!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Ok great, thank you. When you go to Kobo's site, it makes it sound like their software will on work on pc's that have Window 8 they even have a link to Microsoft so you can get it!
2 slightly different things. The Kobo "DESKTOP" (which can be used to read) runs on "any" windows (not sure how far back) and is designed for managing your Kobo device. It's a different thing from the windows 8 "APP" which is strictly for reading and can run (I think) on Win 8 RT and full Win 8. I've found the win 8 app sucked on a full Windows 8 tablet so I just use the Kobo desktop. For a laptop that will work. I can confirm it works on Win 7 laptop.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I suspect you were looking at their reading app which comes in a Windows 8 version as well as iOS and Android. As far as I know, that is a Windows Metro app which will not run on Windows 7 or earlier. The Kobo desktop app is a different program which can read ebooks from Kobo's site but whose main use is transferring those ebooks to your ereader along with handling firmware updates, etc. for your Kobo ereader.

The current version (3.90) works on Windows Vista or higher as Kobo dropped support for Windows XP in that version. For those running Windows XP, version 3.80 is available from various places. Doing testing on a virtual machine, Kobo no longer offers to update 3.80 to 3.90 when running under Windows XP.

That being said, my personal preference is to use Calibre to manage the ebooks. Just works much nicer than the Kobo desktop app since the vast majority of my ebooks are sideloaded epubs.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-20-2014 at 11:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
2 slightly different things. The Kobo "DESKTOP" (which can be used to read) runs on "any" windows (not sure how far back) and is designed for managing your Kobo device. It's a different thing from the windows 8 "APP" which is strictly for reading and can run (I think) on Win 8 RT and full Win 8. I've found the win 8 app sucked on a full Windows 8 tablet so I just use the Kobo desktop. For a laptop that will work. I can confirm it works on Win 7 laptop.
THANK YOU!!! Yes it is the Kobo Desktop that I want.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the kobo desktop for PC is a horrible chunk of software, unless you are reading kepubs bought from kobo store there are much better free windows 7 alternatives....calibre viewer, ADE....
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the kobo desktop for PC is a horrible chunk of software, unless you are reading kepubs bought from kobo store there are much better free windows 7 alternatives....calibre viewer, ADE....
Yes I'm beginning to see that. I installed it but there is no way to get the books I have into the library. If it only allows their books then it is no use to me. Which means there is no point in getting one of their readers. Oh well.

Say what you want, but Reader for PC it top notch when it comes to loading books and setting up collections!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes I'm beginning to see that. I installed it but there is no way to get the books I have into the library. If it only allows their books then it is no use to me. Which means there is no point in getting one of their readers. Oh well.

Say what you want, but Reader for PC it top notch when it comes to loading books and setting up collections!
If you want to sideload books from other sources, nothing is stopping you from doing so. No artificial limits on the amount of space sideloaded books can use. Personally, I sideload virtually all my ebooks using Calibre and it's plugins to manage my ereader along with Sigil for editing. For DRMed library books, I use ADE 2 to download them to my PC and then to sideload them to my ereader. Even for books purchased from Kobo, I will download the epub version as they are available 99% of the time and then sideload the epub. The kepub version gets to reside in the trash in my Kobo account, giving me the occasional nasty moment of "what if I empty the trash?", since that keeps them from autosyncing to my ereader.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you want to sideload books from other sources, nothing is stopping you from doing so.
David
to the reader devices yes, BUT you cannot sideload any book into their reader for PC software. that software works ONLY for books downloaded from Kobo servers
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote