Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
r_avital
r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 2 9.7"
Help with endnotes/footnotes?

Hello all, and please accept my apologies, I've looked all over the net including these forums, and found very little and very old info that's not relevant to the versions of various software I use.
First, my environment:
Linux OS
Calibre 4.1
LibreOffice writer
Bookari (Mantano) on Samsung android tablet

What I'm trying to accomplish in creating an epub book:

Chapter heading
Chapter text, with "1, 2, 3" etc. next to selected words, in superscript
footnotes section linked to the superscript items above
Chapter heading
More of the same, etc.
In LibreOffice Writer, no problem creating the footnotes as I want them, and using "Heading 1" to mark the titles for the TOC. It is in the conversion, in Calibre, that the problem begins. The TOC is create correctly, but:
* The counting does not reset between one chapter and the next
* All the endnotes are grouped at the end of the epub book.

Yes, I know that this is how endnotes behave, as opposed to footnotes. But I get the same result in the Calibre viewer just the same.

I did find useful info, instructing me to create Sections, one for each chapter, and configure the endnotes (and not footnotes) to collect at end of section (the feature exists in LibreOffice Writer). This still gives me the same result, I get endnotes grouped at the bottom of the book, numbered 1 through 12 for two chapters, instead of say, 1-5 at the end of chapter 1, and 1-7 at the end of chapter 2, as it should be.

I've been going around in circles for 3-4 days now. I've removed LibreOffice and tried it in OpenOffice, I've even tried it on a straight Win-10 machine with MS-Word, same result every time.

I'm hoping someone has a solution, before I go into the epub book in Calibre and start rearranging the html/xml in there.

Thanks in advance!
r_avital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you're OK with consecutively numbered end notes, you might find my Sigil plugins helpful:

ODTImport

FootnoteLinker

If you prefer to use Calibre Editor, you might find its Regex function mode helpful.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
r_avital
r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.r_avital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 2 9.7"
Thumbs up Windows only?

Thanks for your quick reply, Doitsu,

I've already had some success with editing the html/xml in Calibre, but I'm looking at some 170 chapters, not all of them have footnotes, but still a daunting task, so I'd love any shortcut.

I need to understand: Sigil is available for my Linux distribution, as it is a multi-platform epub editor. I prefer working with Linux over Windows, so my questionsL

1. Do you happen to know whether your footnotelinker plugin would work with Sigil under Linux?
2. Is ODTImport strictly a Windows tool?

Sorry to bother you with this, and thanks again!
r_avital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
1. Do you happen to know whether your footnotelinker plugin would work with Sigil under Linux?
The FootnoteLinker plugin will work with Sigil under Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
2. Is ODTImport strictly a Windows tool?
The ODTImport plugin uses Writer2LaTex (a Java command line tool) for the actual conversion and will also work with the Linux Sigil version, if a Java runtime is installed.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The one ebook chore I trust to Word is the formatting of endnotes. I have always put them at the end of the book, but I suspect Word is up to doing them chapter by chapter, with each chapter's notes going from 1 to N.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert