Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Shorkan
Shorkan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD N437
Kobo DRM multiple devices, library not readable

I'm trying to make sure I can access any ebooks I buy on other devices than just kobo, so I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions to set an Adobe ID on my devices (for starters just my PC and my Kobo). Using Adobe I was able to open the test ebook on my pc and export it to my kobo, but after that I can't open the ebook from my synced library anymore. Even though I do have Adobe authorization on it. So is this a case of the DRM locking on a single device, making sure I will never be able to open this ebook through my library again? That seems a bit harsh. If so, does that mean any ebooks on my kobo are locked to that device, and will have to be exported in a special way to my pc? I did not seem to be able to drag books from my ereader to my pc, only the other way around. I'm a bit confused about the DRM restrictions and what I can and cannot do. I would like to be able to access the ebooks I legally own on the devices that can handle them, and to me it would seem that using a single Adobe ID on these devices should be sufficient authorization. So right now I'm hoping I have overlooked something .
Shorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The books you sync from the Kobo server to a Kobo device have Kobo DRM. This is completely different to Adobe DRM, I don't think you can transfer books with Kobo DRM to another device (unless you remove the DRM.)

If you want to put the books you buy from Kobo on other devices (without removing DRM) then download them from the Kobo website via ADE. Then the downloaded book will have Adobe DRM and you can transfer it to any device authorised to the same Adobe user.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
I've had no problems downloading Overdrive library ebooks to Adobe Digital Editions and side-loading them to my Kobo until today. I just downloaded a e-book from my library to ADE and then to my Kobo, but then got a message saying the device isn't authorized to open DRM-protected books. So now I'm fiddling around de-authorizing and re-authorizing my Kobo, uninstalling and re-installing ADE and so on. There are very complicated instructions at Adobe for changing the registry on the computer, but I really don't want to tackle that. Has anyone else encountered a new problem with downloading Overdrive library e-books to a Kobo?
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Yes. In fact, my problem surfaced within the last few days. I had been using the wonderful Libby app, setting up my Overdrive account with both of the libraries I have cards for. I could search and find a book, then put a hold on it, and when it became available, it would immediately appear when I synced the Kobo.

But the last three books in a row failed to do this. Libby would tell me the books were available, and in each case I got an email from the library telling me so. But suddenly there was no Kobo sync, and I wound up downloading to my Oasis 2 instead and reading the books there. This all happened within the past week.

I wrote to support at Libby about this and was told that the best way to proceed would be to find the book from within the Kobo, searching Overdrive there and setting up the loan or hold from within the device. This has worked without problem, but I like the convenience of using Libby. And it seems odd to me that after working flawlessly for weeks, it suddenly stopped. I do understand that some books aren't available in the library in the same version that Kobo has them, but I'm wondering if something else isn't going on. Perhaps some software tinkering at the Overdrive end? Still curious.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote