Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
How to set up 3rd-party dictionary app in Neoreader?

Anyone know how to set up 3rd-party dictionary apps in Neoreader? I can't find the setting.

I'm running latest FW. It appears that Neoreader (the Onyx reader) now supports 3rd-party dictionary apps.

When reading a PDF in Neoreader , I press and hold a word and the dictionary with a definition pops up. When I press the icon to the furthest right along the bottom of the pop up (a book with three vertical dots, it is next to the A font icon), it says "Please install the 3rd-party dictionary app first. Do not freeze the dictionary apps!"

I have GoldenDictFree installed. It is not frozen. The device is not in power-saving mode, which freezes app. I cannot find anywhere to configure Neoreader to use GoldenDict. GoldenDict works fine in AlreaderX.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.boox.com/2020/10/30/thir...ionary-popups/

The Onyx page shows the icon and process. Maybe Onyx just doesn't recognize goldendict, or the version I'm running, which would be weird. I'll try some other dictionary apps.
Advert
Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Not sure how it happened, but Neoreader seems to recognize one of my Chinese dictionary apps. When I select a Chinese character to look up, the pop-up box gives me any definitions from dictionaries which I have installed in Neoreader. However, at the bottom of the pop-up box, second from the right, there is an icon of a book with what appears to be an exclamation mark inside a circle. When I tap on that, I am able to see the name of one of my third party Chinese dictionary apps, and, if I tap on it, the word will be looked up in that app.

I don't recall doing anything special to enable that feature. I certainly can't see anything in the various Settings menus in either Neoreader or the third party app. And, unfortunately, Neoreader doesn't seem to recognize any of my other third party dictionary apps, including Goldendict, so not sure just what is going on.

However, what I did was to copy the dictionaries which I wanted from Goldendict into the dicts folder which Neoreader uses. When using the dictionary in Neoreader, I then went into its Settings and enabled those dictionaries which I wanted it to use.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard

Thanks for your response. I have no problem installing external dictionaries for the onyx dictionary to use. But sadly the onyx dictionary does a bad bad job of recognizing conjugation. Hence my wish to use a 3rd party app. One way round it is to go to the translate section which seems to work.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Thanks for your response. I have no problem installing external dictionaries for the onyx dictionary to use. But sadly the onyx dictionary does a bad bad job of recognizing conjugation. Hence my wish to use a 3rd party app. One way round it is to go to the translate section which seems to work.
Take feedback from the device and ask your question there.
There I have always been helped.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I got to my question
Quote:
I have installed Golden dict and want to use it as my dictionary
information source.
However, NeoReader does not accept this and claims I do not have a 3rd
party dictionary app installed.

I ask for a fix.

This affects the devices:
Boox Note Air
Boox Nova 2
Boox Poke 2/3 in OS version 3.1
From Boox the following answer
Quote:
We will check it.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard

@ottischwenk. Thanks for that. I was going to do it. I will also send a message.