Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-06-2022, 01:57 AM   #1
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Breaks in Words

I read on a Kindle Paperwhite, and in my recent conversions with Calibre, I'm noticing a space dividing syllables of some random words. Is this a recent problem that has developed with conversion, or am I doing something wrong (as far as I know I'm following the same process I always have)? I would like to avoid ruining too many books, if possible. If you have run into this, and know of a solution, please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have not encountered this problem. Sometimes odd Kindle problems can be resolved by restarting the device.

If that does not work then it would be helpful if you share more information, such as that mentioned in the post How to ask a question about conversion problems. If you can convert a book that is in the public domain and it exhibits the problem on your Kindle then you could post the conversion log and the files involved so that others can take a look.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One possibility that occurs to me since the problem occurs between syllables is to check your conversion setting for inserting soft hyphens.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
I read on a Kindle Paperwhite, and in my recent conversions with Calibre, I'm noticing a space dividing syllables of some random words. Is this a recent problem that has developed with conversion, or am I doing something wrong (as far as I know I'm following the same process I always have)? I would like to avoid ruining too many books, if possible. If you have run into this, and know of a solution, please let me know. Thanks for the help.
What format are you converting from? I've seen that happen with PDF conversion on more than one occasion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am converting these from their base epub format into azw3 for reading on my Kindle. I had considered that it might be an issue with the hyphenation, but it seems like that would happen with every word, instead of just the occasional word. I also haven't made any changes to my conversion settings, but this issue has just started with the last several books.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 09:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote