Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-12-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
chestar
chestar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Red face "Help Needed: Translating/Converting Foreign Language Metadata in Calibre"

Hello MobileRead community!

I've been using Calibre to manage my arabic e-book library, and I've noticed that sometimes the metadata for titles. or authors with this transliterated kind of writing like "Muḥammad ʿAwwāmah" and publisher like that "Dār al-Yusr lil-nashr"

I understand that Calibre pulls this information from various sources like Google Books or Goodreads. However, I've tried using Python with libraries like googletrans to automatically translate or convert these foreign language titles and author names into a more familiar script, particularly Arabic. Unfortunately, the results from Google Translate haven't been as accurate as I'd hoped.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation or found a clever workaround? I'm curious if there's a more streamlined or integrated solution within Calibre itself or if there are alternative tools or methods that have worked better for you.

Any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

my challenge is to turn "Muḥammad ʿAwwāmah" to "محمد عوامة"

Dār al-Yusr lil-nashr" to "دار اليسر للنشر"

Thanks in advance for your help!"
chestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
chestar

any help

any help
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 10:33 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Bumping is against MR Guidelines.

Calibre Metadata is used to also create the filenames in the Library storage. Those are best to not use non-ASCII characters .
I suspect you will need to create a custom 'description' page and edit it into the book
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
chestar

Clarification and Thanks for Your Assistance

Clarification and Thanks for Your Assistance

Hello Mr theducks,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I appreciate your suggestion regarding the custom 'description' page; however, I'd like to clarify a few points.

I don't use non-ASCII characters intentionally in Calibre metadata or filenames. Instead, these characters are sourced from databases like Goodreads when fetching metadata. The challenge I'm facing is that certain titles and author names, retrieved in this process, contain non-ASCII characters that represent non-Latin scripts, such as Arabic.

To address this, I've developed a plugin to automatically translate these non-ASCII characters into Arabic. Unfortunately, I'm encountering an issue where the plugin doesn't appear in the Plugin column, even though it's installed. I've tried searching for a solution to display it, but so far, I haven't been successful.

I wanted to share this information to clarify that my intention is not to introduce non-ASCII characters but rather to automate the translation of these characters that originate from Goodreads' book databases.

I would also like to express my gratitude for your willingness to help and your interest in my issue. Your guidance is valuable, and I'm thankful for your support.

Best regards,
Attached Files
File Type: zip MthTranslate.zip (11.9 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by chestar; 12-14-2023 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ we cross posted.

@chestar

If you know of a site that has book metadata in Arabic, you could develop a Metadata source plugin for that site.

If you know of a service that does an acceptable job of translating English to Arabic you could develop a GUI plugin that makes use of the service to translate the Comments column directly or into custom column.

There are sticky threads at the top of the Plugins sub-forum containing guidelines for incorporating a plugin to calibre's Plugin Updater feature.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-14-2023 at 03:54 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #6
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately, Calibre does not support authors for books. They are just metadata strings like the title or publication date, so you'll need a better catalog software to do what you want.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:40 AM   #7
chestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Unfortunately, Calibre does not support authors for books. They are just metadata strings like the title or publication date, so you'll need a better catalog software to do what you want.
thank you,
Old 12-15-2023, 07:00 AM   #8
chestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ we cross posted.

@chestar

If you know of a site that has book metadata in Arabic, you could develop a Metadata source plugin for that site.

If you know of a service that does an acceptable job of translating English to Arabic you could develop a GUI plugin that makes use of the service to translate the Comments column directly or into custom column.

There are sticky threads at the top of the Plugins sub-forum containing guidelines for incorporating a plugin to calibre's Plugin Updater feature.

BR

thank you Mr BetterRed

i have to develop a plugin , but when i install it , i found that is not shown in the interface toolbar , i review the toolbar options but i dont find it
Old 12-15-2023, 09:16 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestar View Post
thank you Mr BetterRed

i have to develop a plugin , but when i install it , i found that is not shown in the interface toolbar , i review the toolbar options but i dont find it
Check in debug mode, because that probably means that there is an error in the plugin and it hasn't been installed (you can confirm if you try to configure it from the plugin list and it says you have to restart calibre for the plugin to be accessible or something like that).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #10
chestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Check in debug mode, because that probably means that there is an error in the plugin and it hasn't been installed (you can confirm if you try to configure it from the plugin list and it says you have to restart calibre for the plugin to be accessible or something like that).

Thank you very much for your engagement. Yes, when I add the plugin, I get a message saying "ok," and another message next to it instructs me to "restart Calibre."

But the other message that informs the user that the plugin will be within the main toolbar does not appear !! , and from there I know that the application will not show up even if I search for it in the toolbars settings in the menu.

again
Old 12-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
chestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
i have recently download the demo interface plugin

and i try to modify it for my purpose of translation

i add it in calibre but it not shown !!

have a look in the attachment please if you want !
Attached Files
File Type: zip interface_demo_plugin.zip (11.5 KB, 166 views)