Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #31
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because they did not put in text-align: center; into the CSS. But if you've managed to strip the DRM, it's very easy to fix.
I know, but for all the people who didn't want to, or even know it's possible it's really a shame!

(by the way, 'center'? are you sure? I think you mean 'justify' )
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
I know, but for all the people who didn't want to, or even know it's possible it's really a shame!

(by the way, 'center'? are you sure? I think you mean 'justify' )
Should have been text-align: justify;. My mistake. Good catch.

Yes, it is a shame. Especially when without the DRM, it is very easy to fix the errors in the ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #33
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Scott,

Hrmmm... shouldn't there be a space between "smell," and "nor" then between "door" and "opened" ??? Really layout problems on the first page of the first chapter? And you wonder why ebook readers get so frustrated with this stuff alot of times.

BOb
Wallcraft's screen cap from eReader has the same missing spaces. His screen caps for all the other formats do not have these missing spaces. It must be an eReader-specific formatting issue. Maybe it's an artifact of the full-justification process on eReader? Perhaps wallcraft could turn off full-justification on the eReader version and see if those missing spaces reappear.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 04-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
It must be an eReader-specific formatting issue. Maybe it's an artifact of the full-justification process on eReader?
Changing justification did not help. The problem is in the text, it seems to be cases where two words are on separate lines (e.g. in the ePub source) but no space is added when merging the lines in the eReader version.

EDIT: FictionWise has released a "quick" fix of the eReader version. The final version is due May 1st. This problem has gone, see the 2nd attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_3eR.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	27922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_1eR2.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	28043  

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-24-2009 at 08:57 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Should have been text-align: justify;. My mistake. Good catch.

Yes, it is a shame. Especially when without the DRM, it is very easy to fix the errors in the ePub.
I'm confused, I thought text-align:justify didn't actually work on the Sony PRS?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It's a sony "bug"
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #37
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
It's a sony "bug"
So assuming at some point in the future they fix this bug then all I'd have to do is add text-align:justify to the css override in Calibre for my epub conversions to have all the text justified? not just the left side?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm confused, I thought text-align:justify didn't actually work on the Sony PRS?
It doesn't work yet. But it does work on ADE 1.7.x for Windows. So when the day comes for an ADe update for the 505 & 700, it'll be ready to go.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
So assuming at some point in the future they fix this bug then all I'd have to do is add text-align:justify to the css override in Calibre for my epub conversions to have all the text justified? not just the left side?
I believe that Calibre already adds in justified. But if you ePub does not have it, then adding it in would be all that's needed once we get an update.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #40
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WHY only the ePub version has NO justifications?
This is partially a matter of Reader design, rather than the ebook format. However, when DRM is included you don't have any choice of the Reader. Most ebook Readers allow the user to control things like justification. This is the case with eReader, MOBI and LIT (at least on the Desktop, handheld versions might have fewer options). This is not the case with PDF and LRX. As a genuinely reflowable format, ePub should allow user-override but Adobe Digital Editions does not implement it. Other ePub Readers do allow this, the Calibre Viewer has a per-ebook CSS override option for example. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, if an ePub is DRM-free you can override the CSS by creating a modified version with the layout you want (e.g. using Calibre).
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It's a sony "bug"
The ereader problem is a Sony bug? Or were you talking about something else.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #42
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Because they did not put in text-align: justify; into the CSS. But if you've managed to strip the DRM, it's very easy to fix.
Would anyone be able to explain how to put in the text-align: justify into the epub if it did not have DRM? I would like to do it but not being very techy, I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not even sure what a CSS is.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #43
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
I bought these on fictionwise because they are 100% credit, but it didn't seem to work out that way?
I bought a buywise account, and 2 of the books, giving me 18.05 in micropay.

I then used that money+my coupon to buy the ommnibus. I now have 6$ in my micropay, I was under the impression I should have 16, since that would be a 100% rebate?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader

Screenshots of a song. If the PDF (last screenshot) is the definitive version, then none of the others center the text or offset far enough but they all look ok. I'm not good enough at recognizing fonts to tell if these are all using true italics or not. The eReader version again seems to have a transcription error - an extra empty line in the last verse.

EDIT: FictionWise has released a "quick" fix of the eReader version. The final version is due May 1st. I have added its screenshot as a 7th image (original is image 3). This is more similar to the other versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4MR.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	27925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4LIT.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	27926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4eR.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	27927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4ePub.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	27928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4LRX.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	27929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4PDF.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	27930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_4eR2.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	28045  

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #45
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What was the problem with the images when converting from epub to mobi?
Two images had the same problem reported in gets SVG when should be JPG. Not surprising since this is in the same series. The Calibre Viewer gives a blank page, but any2mobi returns a greatly magnified small section of the image.

Two other images are converted to 278KB and 550KB jpegs (the ePub originals are 778KB and 1574KB). These show up when I view the MOBI in FBReader, but don't display in Windows MobiPocket Reader. So the images must still be too large to work properly in a MOBI file.