Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-15-2023, 03:38 AM   #1426
APGHOSH
APGHOSH began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi @jhowell, when converting a KFX book using KFX output for Calibre, the link for cover page in the table of contents in Calibre does not work and shows an error like ERROR: Destination does not exist (The file OEBPS/part0000.xhtml does not exist in this book). Any idea how to overcome this issue ?

Thanks in advance.
APGHOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:18 AM   #1427
APGHOSH
APGHOSH began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is the error I am getting after using KFX output. Any chance can you please review and let us know how I can resolve this ?

APGHOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #1428
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by APGHOSH View Post
This is the error I am getting after using KFX output. Any chance can you please review and let us know how I can resolve this ?

https://ibb.co/nsz5Npk
From your image it appears that the error is occurring when viewing the KFX format book in the calibre e-book viewer.

Since the calibre viewer does not support KFX natively that causes an automatic conversion from KFX to EPUB with the result being displayed. That conversion is causing the cover page to be replaced, resulting in the broken link.

I am unable to duplicate this error on my system using the latest version of calibre, 6.29.

What platform and version of calibre are you using? Do you have any non-default conversion settings in your calibre preferences?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:55 AM   #1429
Kaz07
Kaz07 began at the beginning.

Device: Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The CSS I wrote previously will not override the book's formatting if the publisher explicitly forced hyphenation to occur for that book. Using the following will work in more cases, but may not always depending on the CSS already in the book.

body {-webkit-hyphens: none !important}

You may still need to use the calibre editor to remove CSS instructions that enable hyphenation in order to make this work in some books.

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately it didn't work. I still have hyphens in the books. I converted the same books to azw3 and the hyphenation stoped.
I prefer kfx since it shows the pages like thumbnail when you move between chapters.
Kaz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #1430
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 2.4.0 - 28 Nov 2023

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.74.0.

Fix metadata jacket not being created when the conversion option "Insert metadata page at start of book" in the Structure detection tab is set.

Eliminate use of the deprecated Python imp module.
Advert
Old 11-28-2023, 09:04 AM   #1431
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz07 View Post
worked for some of my books that I converted from Epub to kfx. however, I still have hyphenation in other books. is there any other way to stop hyphenation permanently when converting from Epub to kfx?

sorry if my question is in the wrong place.
There is a solution. Convert to KF8 (AZW3) and you will not have any hyphens. Don't use KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:05 PM   #1432
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Version 2.4.0 - 28 Nov 2023

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.74.0.

Fix metadata jacket not being created when the conversion option "Insert metadata page at start of book" in the Structure detection tab is set.

Eliminate use of the deprecated Python imp module.

Thanks again for your work!
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #1433
DavidGoncalo
DavidGoncalo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11
Good evening,

I'm having the exact same problem with 2 epubs with the same kind of error

"calibre, version 7.1.0
ERRO: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Um Mundo Sem Fim, Volume I</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> E21018: Enhanced Mobi building failure, while parsing content in the file. Content: &lt;www.ken-follett.com&gt; in file: text\part0002.html line: 8</p>"

Could you please help me solve the problem? It's working fine with other epubs.
DavidGoncalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 03:38 PM   #1434
DavidGoncalo
DavidGoncalo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11
Quote:
Thanks for providing the file that demonstrates the problem. I was able to determine that the error is triggered by a <title> element inside of an <svg> image being given a style with display:none. For some unknown reason calibre is adding that unnecessary styling during the first step of conversion for this EPUB.

The next release of this plugin will remove that style before passing the EPUB to the Kindle Previewer so that conversion can complete successfully.
Good evening,

"calibre, version 7.1.0
ERRO: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Um Mundo Sem Fim, Volume I</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> E21018: Enhanced Mobi building failure, while parsing content in the file. Content: &lt;www.ken-follett.com&gt; in file: text\part0002.html line: 8</p>"

DavidGoncalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:19 AM   #1435
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Notice W14001: Hyperlink not resolved:
Notice W30001: An overlapping subsequent nav point found for the nav point:
E24011: TOC section scope is not included in the parent chapter:
can we ignore these errors during kfx conversion? I dont get similar errors when converting to azw3 or mobi.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:52 AM   #1436
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGoncalo View Post
Good evening,

"calibre, version 7.1.0

That error appears to have a different cause than the one you quoted. The Dealing with Conversion Errors section of the first post in this thread explains the general reason for these sorts of errors and has some suggestions of how to correct them.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:53 AM   #1437
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
can we ignore these errors during kfx conversion? I dont get similar errors when converting to azw3 or mobi.
No, it is not possible. Conversion to KFX makes use of Amazon's Kindle Previewer which will reject files for a variety of reasons, mainly due to incorrect coding or use of unsupported features. The plugin has no control over that.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:36 AM   #1438
Walnut356
Walnut356 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to automatically handle "incorrect table structure" via this plugin? This is one of the most common conversion failures I get on old tech books. Specifically, Kindle Previewer rejects anything that's not in the exact order:

<table>
<thead></thead>
<tbody></tbody>
<tfoot></tfoot>
</table>

For whatever reason it seems like it used to be popular to put the footer before the body and that's a no-go. Simply swapping the order of the elements is enough to get it to pass. It's possible to fix it by hand, but a little tedious if there's a lot of them.
Walnut356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #1439
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut356 View Post
If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to automatically handle "incorrect table structure" via this plugin?
I will take a look at it.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:48 PM   #1440
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut356 View Post
It's possible to fix it by hand, but a little tedious if there's a lot of them.
If all the tables have the same structure, a regex to find the tfoot before the tbody would allow you to fix the entire book at once.

Just wrap the <tfoot>.*</tfoot> and <tbody>.*</tbody> in capture groups (parenthesis for many regex flavors, but it can vary) and then replace with \2\1.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine