Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-28-2023, 08:41 PM   #1456
don111
don111 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
fail to convert epub to kfx

I've installed the version 7.2 calibre and kfx input, kfx output plugin, however, calibre fail to convert my drm free epub to kfx, any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: txt fail to convert epub to kfx.txt (72.4 KB, 55 views)
don111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #1457
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by don111 View Post
I've installed the version 7.2 calibre and kfx input, kfx output plugin, however, calibre fail to convert my drm free epub to kfx, any ideas?
Thanks for posting the conversion log. The critical message there is: Kindle conversion has encountered an internal error.

Most of the work involved in converting to KFX is performed by Amazon's Kindle Previewer. There are some things that program does not handle, including fixed-layout books which includes the book you are attempting to convert. There is no good solution for converting this particular book to KFX format.

You can read more about this in the Dealing with Conversion Errors section of the first post of this thread.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 10:00 AM   #1458
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 2.5.0 - 30 Dec 2023

Reposition tfoot elements to the end of tables to prevent Kindle Previewer conversion failure. (Fixes "Conversion error: Invalid Table Structure found in html")

Improve the quality of cover images that need to be re-encoded into JFIF format for Kindle lock screen cover support.

Ignore the case of file extensions.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:59 PM   #1459
Shaduy
Shaduy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a way to specify which available format of a book the plugin should use for the conversion?

I like to use the "Polish books" feature of Calibre to clean up my books a little.

This leaves me with two versions of the book.
A newly created .epub that contains all changes made by "Polish books" and my original version of the book, now renamed to .original_epub.

Sometimes I then make some manual changes to the new .epub version of the book with the Calibre book editor. Like fixing some spelling mistakes or changing out some particular bad translation jobs.

But when converting a book to the .kfx format, to send to my device, the plugin is using my .original_epub file to work with.

Is there a way to change this behavior so the plugin uses my polished & manually edited version of a book instead of the original file?
Shaduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #1460
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaduy View Post
But when converting a book to the .kfx format, to send to my device, the plugin is using my .original_epub file to work with.

Is there a way to change this behavior so the plugin uses my polished & manually edited version of a book instead of the original file?
Conversion output plugins, such as this one, have no control over the source format used for conversion. That is determined by calibre itself and calibre selects the original version of a format as the source for conversion if it is present.

You need to delete the original format before conversion if you want to prevent it from being used.
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 08:35 PM   #1461
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Conversion output plugins, such as this one, have no control over the source format used for conversion. That is determined by calibre itself and calibre selects the original version of a format as the source for conversion if it is present.

You need to delete the original format before conversion if you want to prevent it from being used.
Good to know, but ideally I could choose default behavior. I don’t like to delete the original in case there is some issue with the ‘current’ one.

But converting to KFX is not something I do that often.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #1462
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.6.0 - 25 Jan 2024

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.75.0.

When launching the Kindle Previewer include additional environment variables that be be needed for some non-standard Wine installations on Linux.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:13 PM   #1463
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Is it possible to revert to an older version of kfx-output? Something broke for me with this update.

Update: I was using calibre 5 and decided to finally update. This fixed the issue, whatever it was.

Last edited by Slipkid; 01-28-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #1464
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
Is it possible to revert to an older version of kfx-output? Something broke for me with this update.

Update: I was using calibre 5 and decided to finally update. This fixed the issue, whatever it was.
I’m glad that you were able to get it to work.

Could you let me know what platform and specific calibre version you were using so that I can try and duplicate the problem?

Oops! I found the problem and will release a plugin update shortly.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-29-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:53 AM   #1465
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.6.1 - 29 Jan 2024

Fix plugin not working using calibre versions older than 6.0.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:35 AM   #1466
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 2.6.1 - 29 Jan 2024

Fix plugin not working using calibre versions older than 6.0.

Thanks. I figured it was only a matter of time before 5 stopped working for my needs.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM   #1467
ivy@sail17.net
ivy@sail17.net began at the beginning.

Device: kobi Aura h2o
Heavy sigh!

I'm following instructions for installing.
It says "download KFX Conversion Input Plugin(v2.6.0)" and there's a hot link to this page.
All the discussion is quite helpful and all. But where, o where, is the file to download? I cannot read through 98 pages of discussion.

Thanks!
ivy@sail17.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:56 PM   #1468
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy@sail17.net View Post
I'm following instructions for installing.
Whose instructions are you following?

Quote:
It says "download KFX Conversion Input Plugin(v2.6.0)" and there's a hot link to this page.
That link is incorrect. This thread is for the KFX Output plugin, not KFX Input.

Quote:
All the discussion is quite helpful and all. But where, o where, is the file to download? I cannot read through 98 pages of discussion.
The actual plugin file is attached to the first post of the MobileRead thread for each plugin. That post also contains instructions for using the plugin.

You can also get the plugin directly within calibre by going to Preferences, Plugins, Get new plugins. That avoids the need to download anything. Pretty much the only case where you actually need to download a plugin for installation is the DRM removal plugin which is not hosted here at MobileRead.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:31 PM   #1469
amon81
amon81 began at the beginning.

Also with last release,
calibre, version 7.5.1
ERRORE: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert.... Conversion error: Process Failure: CLI return code c0000135
Is there anything to fix it?
tx
amon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:43 PM   #1470
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amon81 View Post
Also with last release,
calibre, version 7.5.1
ERRORE: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert.... Conversion error: Process Failure: CLI return code c0000135
Is there anything to fix it?
tx
That error most likely means that there is something wrong with the Kindle Previewer on your system. I suggest uninstalling it and then installing it again.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-13-2024 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
kfx, linux, wine