Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 03:11 PM   #1
katinka
Enthusiast
katinka began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
responsivenss BW v.s Clara 2e v.s Clara HD

All three of these readers have the same CPU and RAM, the only difference being the slightly better contrast which seems to increase with every model, or I'm I wrong?

Even though new models, being new, makes me want to buy them, I think the only reasonable reason to actually swap my HD for a BW would be if the response time is significantly better on the BW. So is it?

Doing anything on a clara HD, navigating the menu, page turning and so forth, is quite slow comparing to a LED, android phone, but I guess that is expected.
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 04:40 PM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka View Post
All three of these readers have the same CPU and RAM, the only difference being the slightly better contrast which seems to increase with every model, or I'm I wrong?

Even though new models, being new, makes me want to buy them, I think the only reasonable reason to actually swap my HD for a BW would be if the response time is significantly better on the BW. So is it?

Doing anything on a clara HD, navigating the menu, page turning and so forth, is quite slow comparing to a LED, android phone, but I guess that is expected.
The CPU and RAM are not the only factors for speed and responsiveness. The screen itself is a major factor. The Clara BW has the Carta 1300 screen which is >20% faster than the Carta 1200 screen.

While I don't have the Clara 2E or HD, I do have a Libra 2 which has the 1200 screen and having used both the Clara BW and Libra 2, there is in my opinion a large responsiveness gain using the BW compared to the Libra 2.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:15 PM   #3
celiocx
celiocx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka View Post
They don't have the same CPU. Furthermore, just because they are all listed as 1GHz doesn't mean it's the same. The clara BW has a MediaTek cpu and the others are some random brand. A 1 GHz CPU from 2023 will run rings around a 1 GHz processor from 2010.
celiocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:46 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To add to what @celiocx posted, the Clara HD has a NXP iMX Freescale i.MX6 SLL processor, the Clara 2E has a NXP Freescale Solo Lite processor which is part of NXP's i.MX7 processor family while the Clara BW has a MediaTek MT8113L processor. The MediaTek is faster than the NXP processors at the same clock speed. Also the display panel speed and contrast improves with each generation of the Clara ( Carta to Carta 1200 to Carta 1300).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote