Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
kelemvor
Enthusiast
kelemvor began at the beginning.

Device: Android
eBook reader that supports Series or Custom Groups?

Howdy,

Looking for a (preferably free) eBook reader that supports Series and that I can load epub files into just by copying them to a certain folder on my phone.

I tried FBReader but since there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of the stupid Intro file that comes up every time I open the app, that's out of the running. Very unfortunately since I liked the program.

Anyway, I would prefer a Bookshelf View that can either display books by Series or that I can manually create "Folders" (or groups or whatever) to organize books manually by their series. Also, it has to remember where they left off if the close the app and then go back in later but I assume all apps do that these days...

I think Aldiko can do this but I think that requires the extra steps of copying epubs to my phone and then manually importing them into Aldiko which isn't a big deal but is an extra step I'd like to avoid.

Are there any other good apps that can do this?

This is going on tablets for my kids so I want it to be as easy to use as possible. Preferably with a Bookshelf view so they can just tap the cover image they want to read.
kelemvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moon+ Reader. There's both a free and a commercial version. The commercial one is well worth the modest price.

However, if you store your eBook library in Calibre (and who doesn't?) I'd strongly recommend Calibre Companion. This is an Android App that imports books from your Calibre library, and allows you to view and search your library in all the different ways that you can in Calibre. It allows far, far more sophistication than simply arranging books in series. It's not a book reading app, but a book organising app. You can use it in conjunction with any reading app you wish.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-13-2016 at 11:53 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
kelemvor
Enthusiast
kelemvor began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I've tried Moon+ and don't see any way to View by Series or to Create a custom group. Is it buried in options somewhere?
kelemvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
I've tried Moon+ and don't see any way to View by Series or to Create a custom group. Is it buried in options somewhere?
Coolreader populates series metadata sent from calibre plus you can also browse the filesystem to open the files. So if you use filesystem for series etc that will work as well.
Though the best option I would recommend is using calibre companion with calibre and a cloud service like dropbox. Make a separate calibre library for your kids sync it with dropbox. Then setup the calibre companion on the tablet to connect to that calibre library. Once set your kids could get what books they need or download all of them if you add any new book etc to their library when next they connect using calibre companion it will show them all the new book available to them etc.
If you dont want the tablet to have access to the internet you can still use calibre companion by copying the whole kids calibre library folder to the device and then use calibre companion to connect to the library on the device . Calibre companion has a demo app that you can try out.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
However, if you store your eBook library in Calibre (and who doesn't?) I'd strongly recommend Calibre Companion. This is an Android App that imports books from your Calibre library, and allows you to view and search your library in all the different ways that you can in Calibre. It allows far, far more sophistication than simply arranging books in series. It's not a book reading app, but a book organising app. You can use it in conjunction with any reading app you wish.
Agreed. Use CC as your library on the device and select whatever reading app you want as the default reader, at least that's what I do if using an Android tablet. Screenshots of CC attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-10.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	149531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-09-01-26-39.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	149532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-28-00-22-56.png
Views:	537