Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 07:31 AM   #1
Dragneel
Dragneel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra 2
Post Can we use tf card which format exfat?

I bought a kobo libra 2 last week and i want to increase storage since i want read comic. I saw some people report they can use all the storage since fat 32 's limit so can i use exfat instead of fat32? Thank you
Dragneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:58 PM   #2
jcotton42
jcotton42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't know for sure, but since ExFAT is a different filesystem incompatible with FAT32 and requires licensing (iirc) I doubt it will work.

For what it's worth you can actually format cards larger than 32GB as FAT32, it's just an arbitrary limitation of most format utilities.

The 3DS community has put together guides for
Windows
, macOS, and Linux that you could follow.

Last edited by jcotton42; 04-25-2024 at 01:58 PM. Reason: slight clarity edit
jcotton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:10 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, you can just reformat an SDXC card to FAT32 before you install it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:11 PM   #4
GrandNeko40
GrandNeko40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
as a matter of fact (fat?), the actual original source of that arbitrary limitation is indeed the windows Disk Format utility; over time, it just became assumed knowledge that, since that limitation was in place, that must be the maximum size that a given FAT32 volume could be, and so other utilities incorrectly followed suit. the actual maximum volume size is 16 terabytes.

the guy who wrote the Disk Format utility has spoken about this error a few times:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bikbJPI-7Kg

https://twitter.com/davepl1968/statu...42158046146792

pretty interesting! in any event, replacing the sd card seems to be pretty involved. but if you really want to try it, go ahead and format your card as FAT32. the Kobo will probably be able to read it just fine.
GrandNeko40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
I bought a kobo libra 2 last week and i want to increase storage since i want read comic. I saw some people report they can use all the storage since fat 32 's limit so can i use exfat instead of fat32? Thank you
Do not format the card as FAT32. You will need to generate an image from your original µSD card and write that image to your new µSD card. Once that is done, you can extend the FAT32 partition. The card has 3 (2xext4, 1xFAT32) partitions plus some information stored in the free space.

If you haven't already looked at it, see the Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures) for more information on generating and using the image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #6
Dragneel

Thank you but i read somewhere that when they use 256gb , they can not slideload book when it reaches 14gb and he have to split the files up into subdirectories so how this problem can be solved ? ( sorry if i have any mistakes since english is not my first language)
Source here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348299
Old 04-26-2024, 01:56 PM   #7
Dragneel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do not format the card as FAT32. You will need to generate an image from your original µSD card and write that image to your new µSD card. Once that is done, you can extend the FAT32 partition. The card has 3 (2xext4, 1xFAT32) partitions plus some information stored in the free space.

If you haven't already looked at it, see the Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures) for more information on generating and using the image.
Thank you very much but i think there have a small misunderstand here since i fear that when i increase storage, fat32 can have some issues about limitation like i can not save book more than 14gb, for example. Do you have any ideas?
Old 04-26-2024, 03:20 PM   #8
jcotton42
jcotton42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
FAT32's limits are:
- A max volume size of 2TB
- A max file size of 4GB

Unless you have a single book that is larger than 4GB you will not run into problems. Such a book would be enormous, millions and millions of words.
jcotton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:08 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Thank you very much but i think there have a small misunderstand here since i fear that when i increase storage, fat32 can have some issues about limitation like i can not save book more than 14gb, for example. Do you have any ideas?
My Clara HD currently has a 128GB µSD card. I have ~16K books on it which is enough to cause issues trying to keep the database in RAM. The maximum size for a single book is 4GB and I have never seen a single ePub that came close to that size.

As for using subdirectories, that is due to the limit on the number of directory entries in the root directory of a FAT32 volume. You have a hard limit of 65,536 directory entries when using 8.3 short file names. Longer filenames will chew up directory entries like they were free consuming 1 directory entry for every 13 characters in the long filename (if the number of characters is not a multiple of 13, the last entry gets the padded remainder plus a directory entry for the short filename. If you have a short filename with a lowercase letter, it will require a long filename entry.

So an ePub file named 'The Sacred Lands [03] - The Mountains at the End of the Worlds - James Tensilion and Margaret Cordwainer' is going to chew up 10 directory entries.

One other possibility is that your replacement µSD card is a counterfeit which falsely reports it's size. One friend of mine purchased a pack of 5 64GB µSD cards that were physically 8GB. Do a quick search for 'counterfeit SD card' for more information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote