Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #31
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I just updated my 6" BNRV1100 to 8.1.4.95
I can toggle "Developer options" and "USB debugging" at will.
Can anyone can tell me how to disallow this?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Are you saying you don't need a password after all?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #33
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Are you saying you don't need a password after all?
I turn off "USB debugging", I turn off "Developer options"
I reboot
I turn on "Developer options", I turn on "USB debugging"
It works fine.
There is the standard popup asking me if I really want to.

If somebody has a screenshot of when it's asking for a password.

What/where is this "diagnostic app"?

Aren't you doing this from the stock Settings?
If you can't reach there from B&N land, just:
Install a terminal program
Code:
am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings

Last edited by Renate; Yesterday at 12:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #34
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Glowlight 4, Hyread Gaze Mini+
Quote:
I think the password is only implemented for android developement settings in the diagnostic tool. Attached is the screenshot of the locked android development settings.

You can do a factory reset in 8.1.4.95 to access the diagnostic tool again. Or perhaps invoke the "Welcome" activity to access that?

Just tried:
Code:
# am start com.nook.partner/.oobe.WelcomeScreenActivity
I can access the EasterEggAcitvity with repeated left-right tapping, so with
Code:
# am start com.nook.partner/.EasterEggActivity
I can access the easter egg activity -> diagnostic -> android development setting.
However my GL4 is current on 8.1.4.88, the screenshot was taken before while I was expeimenting downgrades.

Once you gain access into the Android system, the password is not there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	240418133303598.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	208047  

Last edited by plainbriny; Yesterday at 05:58 PM.
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #35
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbriny View Post
I think the password is only implemented for android developement settings in the diagnostic tool.
Thank you. Any idea which apk this is in?
It doesn't appear to be in nookPartner or nookdemo.

Edit: Our posts crossed each other.

Do not click this button until you have sworn a blood oath of secrecy!
Spoiler:
Code:
NOOK-BNRV1100

Last edited by Renate; Yesterday at 07:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #36
plainbriny
Enthusiast

I have no idea.
The processes before starting EasterEggActiviy and after invoking diagnotic are identical.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #37
Renate
Wizard

We are bouncing past each other. Go up one.
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Edit: Our posts crossed each other.

Do not click this button until you have sworn a blood oath of secrecy!
Spoiler:
Code:
NOOK-BNRV1100
For someone who is (more than) a bit dense, is this the needed password?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #39
Renate
Wizard

Yup, that's the secret password for the BNRV1100.
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #40
plainbriny
Enthusiast

So I assume the pattern applies to other models as well. Can someoen with 4e and 4 plus confirm this?
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #41
Renate
Wizard

I was reading reviews of the 4e (BNRV1000, amelie).
If you don't use the buttons you have to swipe to turn pages?
Seriously, is there anyone who wants to swipe through an entire book?
What's the matter with tap if it you aren't using buttons?

Someone also said that it doesn't just open to the book that you were reading?

Does any B&N model have an auto-sleep cover that just opens to where you were?

I haven't looked into it much, but my BNRV1100 wakes up with the home button and then you have to swipe at the bottom to open it, despite my security in Settings being "none".