Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 04:09 PM   #1
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
What is your choice of audiobook player for Windows 10/11?

The only thing I've found so far is VLC as it does support changing chapters but it doesn't remember where in the book I've left off.

On Android, I've found Sirin works great; but is there anything that works properly for Windows?

Thanks
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you using m4b or mp3? Or something else?
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 10:48 AM   #3
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

".ogg" container with mp3 inside. Ssirin works perfectly on Android. Looking for similar functionality on Win10/11.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:59 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What features do you want?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:12 PM   #5
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur

Desired features:
- Read .ogg containers with mp3 or m4b contents.
- Keep track of where I left off listening (like any ePub reader would when reading).
- Permit chapter selection (again, like any ePub reader would when reading).

As I mentioned, above, Sirin on my Android-enabled Kindle Fire seems to do all of the above. I don't want to install an Android emulator on my PC. VLC does chapter selection in Windows but doesn't remember where I left off.

Everything I've tried so far either doesn't do chapter selection (although a few do support a "prev/next" set of buttons that work).

Some apps don't support .ogg containers but will work if I keep all the chapters separate as discreet mp3s. Management of thousands of mp3 chapters isn't practical.

If ePub manages to support multiple chapters in its container, I'd like that same convenience with my audiobooks.

HOWEVER: If I need to abandon .ogg for some other container (still one container with multiple mp3/m4b chapters therein), tell me what container format and I'll try it.

Thank you for your assistance.
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 03:02 PM   #6
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur

Okay; I've tried a few things:

Zip'd all the mp3's without any compression.

- VLC was able to open and play the file and even display the various chapters in its playlist. I was able to switch to any chapter directly without having to repeatedly click the "prev" or "next" buttons. I'll have to check whether Sirin can handle such a file; if so, then zip'ing all the chapters together is a solution.

- Tried an old app called "MP3 to iPod Audiobook Converter". It combined all the mp3 files into an m4b.
Unfortunately, that file doesn't expose its chapters when playing in VLC; click the "next" button and you're at the end of the book. Even tried iTunes on my PC but, even there, no chapter love - same behavior as VLC.

I'll report back on Sirin's behavior with the zip'd mp3's.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:39 PM   #7
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur

VLC doesn't remember the last played position. *sigh*
Old 04-26-2024, 11:46 PM   #8
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur

Okay; after trying dozens of Windows apps (I'm serious) that claim to be audiobook readers, I've finally found one that:

1. Has no trouble playing an m4b container containing mp3 chapters.
2. Displays a chapter list that's selectable.
3. Actually remembers the last played position without having to manually set a bookmark.

It's called PotPlayer and may be found here: https://potplayer.daum.net/

So I think I've found my system to manage my audiobooks without having to store thousands of separate chapters as mp3's.

1. Use NCH Switch Sound File Converter to create the m4b container and fill it with the mp3 files (chapters).
2. Use PotPlayer to play the m4b on my PC.
3. Use Sirin to play the m4b on my Android-enabled Kindle Fire. (Sirin supports all three reqiurements as listed above.)

I hope my journey might help other readers. Cheers!
Old 04-27-2024, 12:17 AM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Create an Audiobook library in Kodi. It can save chapters and resume points...

https://kodi.wiki/view/Audiobooks
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote