Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
Indeed, from reading through forum posts one might conclude that e-reader users are some of the most opinionated people on the planet
Ereader users in general, probably not, but MR members are for sure.

That said, MR is far from the only place where the attitude "there is my opinion and then there are wrong opinions" seems to be ubiquitous. I mean, take your average family gathering in real life...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #77
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
In a world where much is out of your control, being able to apply your particular tastes to your "vademecum" is a godsend.
For me:
  • flush screen
  • front light
  • no buttons (Bluetooth clicker)
  • auto sleep cover flap
The old Nooks (and even the new ones) don't meet these criteria.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #78
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
maybe even Fry's
Fry's! 😭😭😭
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Reports of the demise of B&N have been greatly exaggerated. They're dying...and yet...they're not. Their e-reader production is going to end...and yet...it has not. It's hard to imagine any major corporate bookseller these days which would not be involved in the e-book business and not attempt to "capture" part of that business (and customers) with their own devices/software.

Books a Million?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #80
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
When you say ereader models, do you mean Best Buy USA and do you mean ereader models including NOOK?

The last time I saw a NOOK in a Best Buy USA was circa 2010.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhites are still sold in local Best Buy USA stores.
I saw Kobos and Nooks in Best Buy at least as late as 2012, I believe, because I know they had the Nook Simple Touches (2011) there and I think they also had the Simple Touches with Glowlight (2012). And I remember the Kobo Minis being there (at least the Minis), because they had them priced at about $50 or $60, near the end of their run. I remember kicking myself for not buying one when they were cheap.

Amazon, like many of the other retailers in Best Buy now, "rent" a section of the store. So, yes, you can buy a Kindle in Best Buy now, but it's not like Best Buy really carries them on their own. It's kind of like a flea market or a glorified consignment shop.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviscosi View Post
Fry's! 😭😭😭
I hated to see them go.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #82
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Books a Million?
Never heard of it. I had to look it up!

Perhaps I should have added "national" or "international"
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #83
Julie Paradise
Julie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheeseJulie Paradise can extract oil from cheese

Device: KindlePW Scribe Palma Poke5 NovaAir2 NA3C TUC Max2 TabX A6X2
Quote:
[...]
I often wonder just how people read actual physical books in the now seemingly distant past. No fonts from Mars, no page-turn buttons (gasp!). Maybe they just didn't. But now you can have it your way (except when you can't). So if more people are reading because the lack of page-turn buttons or fonts galore were turning them away from actual books, that's a win, right?
Yeah, sometimes when I read reviews about such and such e-ink reader device being unusable because of xy aspect (colour, dark screen, pixelated once one scrawls into the screen, too light, too heavy, uneven lighting, ...), I wonder how people read books before, without front light or dark mode ... *rolleyes*
Julie Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 AM   #84
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Never heard of it. I had to look it up!

Perhaps I should have added "national" or "international"
"Find over 250 BAM locations nation-wide to serve you."

I guess. 250 U.S. stores isn't worth it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #85
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Books a Million?
Books a Million does sell ebooks.
https://www.booksamillion.com/ebooks
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote