Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 04:30 PM   #31
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From the feedback I've received, the database corruption issue should be fixed in 4.39.22861. The key word there was should so keep an eye open.
If I don't have to factory wipe my Sage every few months, that will be a great thing. I haven't seen it yet on the Sage, and will just enjoy the novelty of a faster ereader for now.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:34 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If I don't have to factory wipe my Sage every few months, that will be a great thing. I haven't seen it yet on the Sage, and will just enjoy the novelty of a faster ereader for now.
You don't have to factory wipe your Sage ever. What should be doing is using calibre with Kobo Utilities to backup the database when you connect to your library. That way if you do have a corrupt database, you can restore the last backed up database, reboot, and no need to factory reset.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:24 PM   #33
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The last time I tried, I ended up having to do a factory reset anyways. I've never had luck with it on the Sage or Forma. It's not like I had a lot of sideloaded books at that point - not after the third time I couldn't sync the Kobo because it couldn't ever finish checking for updates (or occasionally, connecting to WiFi), which was usually a sign of database corruption.

The changes to the new interface and adding Dropbox to the Forma firmware caused so many issues for me with my readers, which inevitably resulted in it getting corrupted after a few months of use. Even trying the database integrity check didn't do anything after that happened.. not at soon as I added any new books or read anything, which caused changes.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:59 PM   #34
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I couldn’t find in a search if anybody had mentioned this before, so I’ll mention it here.

There is now a Notifications bell in the top menu bar in the Home Screen. I didn’t notice it until an Overdrive book became available. The attached graphic shows no notifications, but this is where updates on Holds at the library will show up from now on. I find it handy. I often miss borrowing a book because I miss the update emails.

I wonder what else they’ll put in there? I wouldn’t mind being made aware of a new book by an author I have previously borrowed or purchased, but I hope they don’t start upselling in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3688.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	842.2 KB
ID:	208049

Last edited by Cootey; 05-04-2024 at 09:03 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I couldn’t find in a search if anybody had mentioned this before, so I’ll mention it here.

There is now a Notifications bell in the top menu bar in the Home Screen. I didn’t notice it until an Overdrive book became available. The attached graphic shows no notifications, but this is where updates on Holds at the library will show up from now on. I find it handy. I often miss borrowing a book because I miss the update emails.

I wonder what else they’ll put in there? I wouldn’t mind being made aware of a new book by an author I have previously borrowed or purchased, but I hope they don’t start upselling in there.
The notification bell has been there for several years (the first reference I noted was in 2020).

Last edited by DNSB; 05-04-2024 at 09:19 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:53 PM   #36
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What causes it to appear?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:39 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not certain. Connecting to Overdrive? My notes were more on an issue where some library books did not trigger a notification. This turned out to be an issue where the library and the Kobo Store copy did not have the same ISBN so the book could not be synced.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:08 AM   #38
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The notification bell has been there for several years (the first reference I noted was in 2020).
Really? It's not on my Elipsa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3692.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	208067

I can’t recall if my Kobo Clara 2E showed it or not. I’m afraid I sold it a while ago.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:21 AM   #39
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never seen it either, maybe because I've never used OverDrive directly.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:43 AM   #40
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've never seen it either, maybe because I've never used OverDrive directly.
I *do* use OverDrive, so that's probably the difference. Which leaves me wondering why it never worked on my Kobo Clara 2E, but that's water under the bridge since I sold it.

Well, to get back on topic. Boy, howdy! That notification thingie sure works great under this firmware! Wowzers! I received two notifications for library holds becoming available tonight.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:43 PM   #41
SilentPartner
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Firmware 4.39.22861 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
Hi!

Are the patches for Kobo Colour ready to use?

Thanks.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:19 PM   #42
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Nope. New devices with new firmware require a lot of extra work to verify that existing patches are still compatible.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM   #43
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Nope. New devices with new firmware require a lot of extra work to verify that existing patches are still compatible.
Indeed. That said, I have successfully applied some patches from the previous version to my Libra Colour.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:39 PM   #44
Aleron Ives
Wizard

The kobopatch repo also has WIP patches that you can try if you're feeling brave.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:47 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Indeed. That said, I have successfully applied some patches from the previous version to my Libra Colour.
For my purposes, the only two patches I use worked. The more important one to me is the Unify font sizes font.

Tags
firmware, firmware release