Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 03:05 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Are you wearing a cap and sunglasses too, so no camera can recognize you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A hood and a mask.
A touque, sunglasses and a N95 mask. Less suspicious than a balaclava now that the weather is getting warmer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:24 PM   #32
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A touque, sunglasses and a N95 mask. Less suspicious than a balaclava now that the weather is getting warmer.
Classy disguise.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 08:35 AM   #33
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Should the tinfoil hat be under the hood, or above it?

But more seriously, I don't think it is reasonable or fair to say that (in this case) Kobo spies on you/mines your data because, I don't know, big data, corporate greed, etc. I'm open to persuasion if there's actual evidence.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:27 PM   #34
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
*Reedited post*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
It's hilarious but also borderline concerning the level of paranoia that some people have regarding their OPsec. *Note* I agree that keeping good OPsec is a necessity especially when acquiring "sideloaded books".
This is not polite.

Quote:
Kobo can not track reading time/page turns/whatever when using KOReader since that information is not stored into your Kobo ereader's database.
OK.

Last edited by Jane Eyre; 04-12-2024 at 01:36 AM.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:29 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, removing DRM from books I own is acceptable. I was burned before when I lost access to DRMed books such as when Microsoft shut down the servers that managed DRM for their .lit format ebooks.

If the book is a loan (library, Kobo Plus, Kindle Unlimited, whatever), I do not remove DRM. Personally, I also don't pirate books since I prefer to encourage authors to continue writing books. That I do some paid work for authors also comes into that decision.

As I mentioned before, Kobo only transfers pages read, time spent reading and finished status for sideloaded books. While that may change in the future, that would open a can of worms for Kobo since adding any identifiable information would require them to allow users to access that information.

When it comes to ebook piracy, please don't admit to it. Mobileread has strict policies on ebook piracy.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-11-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 08:47 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Maybe I'm a "paranoid" person but I prefer not to take any chance that something or somebody is aware of my not too correct tasks...

Well, you can keep the wifi permanently off. No one can spy on you then.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:44 AM   #37
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
For me, removing DRM from books I own is acceptable. I was burned before when I lost access to DRMed books such as when Microsoft shut down the servers that managed DRM for their .lit format ebooks.
Yes, you're right. It's not fair that people must re-purchased the same title when they change their ereaders, because DRM prevents from converting ebooks with Calibre.
I would like that all this commercial system was washed away and editors could have a new approach to the problem.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:27 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Kobo can not track reading time/page turns/whatever when using KOReader since that information is not stored into your Kobo ereader's database.
Does KOReader keep track of reading time/page turns/whatever?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:17 AM   #39
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does KOReader keep track of reading time/page turns/whatever?
I think you need to ask in a KOReader-specific forum such as this one.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I think you need to ask in a KOReader-specific forum such as this one.
In that case, if Koreader does that stuff then Kobo may be able to track the koreader stuff. Seems unlikely, but it may be possible.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:24 AM   #41
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
In that case, if Koreader does that stuff then Kobo may be able to track the koreader stuff. Seems unlikely, but it may be possible.
Find out what KOreader actually does before assuming anything.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Find out what KOreader actually does before assuming anything.
.. ..

Just trying to clarify.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:45 PM   #43
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
delete

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 04-12-2024 at 02:02 PM. Reason: delete
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:30 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
At this point, nothing I can find in the Kobo code would allow access to the SQLite database KOReader stores it's information in so I would say that it is currently not possible.

And please try to have some basis for your posts. Your posting of wild eyed guesses/what ifs with no visible means of support don't offer much to any discussion.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-12-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At this point, nothing I can find in the Kobo code would allow access to the SQLite database KOReader stores it's information in so I would say that it is currently not possible.
Thank you for the clarification. I assume you are correct, and Kobo's code doesn't currently access Koreader's database.

Quote:
And please try to have some basis for your posts. Your posting of wild eyed guesses/what ifs with no visible means of support don't offer much to any discussion.
I'm a little surprised you consider my posts (at least in this thread) so wild. Your original post seemed very vague? From a programming standpoint it seems to me if koreader is storing data, Kobo can access it.