Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
Skelde
Skelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Kobo Libra H2O Not Connecting.

I purchased my first Kobo reader today, the Libra H20. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to connect to my PC. I get the message 'Connected and Charging' on the Kobo but the PC won't recognise it. If I go to the device manager in Windows 10 it appears as an unknown USB device.

I've tried 3 cables and connecting it through different ports, both directly and through a USB hub. It will connect to my wife's PC, she is also running Windows 10.

Any idea how to overcome this issue?
Skelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelde View Post
I purchased my first Kobo reader today, the Libra H20. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to connect to my PC. I get the message 'Connected and Charging' on the Kobo but the PC won't recognise it. If I go to the device manager in Windows 10 it appears as an unknown USB device.

I've tried 3 cables and connecting it through different ports, both directly and through a USB hub. It will connect to my wife's PC, she is also running Windows 10.

Any idea how to overcome this issue?
Without your Libra H2O connected, try running devmgmt (just type that into the search box and click on Device Manager. Once you have Device Manager open, click on View and select Show hidden devices. Look under Universal Serial Bus devices and uninstall the greyed out devices. Next look under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Uninstall any greyed out devices under there. Repeat for Unknown Devices if that heading shows.

Alternately, go to USB Device Viewer at Nirsoft.com, download the appropriate 32 or 64 bit version. Unzip it into a directory of your choice and then run it as administrator (saves having to say yes for every deletion) and remove any unknown USB devices.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-07-2020 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Changed install to unzip
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
Skelde

Thanks for taking the time to answer David.
I tried both methods but, no luck. I also tried resetting to factory settings.
I'm wondering if it's because I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelde View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer David.
I tried both methods but, no luck. I also tried resetting to factory settings.
I'm wondering if it's because I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview.
I've had issues on and off with Windows Insider previews and ereaders so it's entirely possible. Which build are you on? My VM is currently on 20161 and the last time I tested a Kobo ereader was a couple of weeks back on 20152 where it did work happily enough. Admittedly, I'm running the WIP on a VMWare Workstation VM and not on bare iron. Makes it a lot safer when it's your main work computer and since VMWare emulates very standard hardware, a lot few device issues.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Skelde

I’m running the same version as you it seems. I’m not using a VM though.
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
imno007
imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: none
I'm having the same problem with my Kobo Forma, but in my case it refuses to connect in any port on either of two PC's, and I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting and done a factory reset. So I'm pretty sure I just have a bad USB port. It still charges, fortunately, but I can no longer sideload content. Anyway, hopefully someone will be able to help you resolve your own problem, since you know you can still connect on another computer; but if not you can always fall back on Dropbox, which is the only way I am able now to get most of my books onto my Kobo (although no kepub support):

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-with-Dropbox

Valuable lesson learned for me: my next ereader will not be a Kobo or a Kindle, unless they once again start adding SD slots to their ereaders.

Last edited by imno007; 07-07-2020 at 12:17 PM.
imno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried different cables and have you tried a USB 2 port?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
imno007
imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.imno007 knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

If that's directed at me, yes, I've tried multiple cables and USB ports (2 and 3). But all the same ports and cables worked up until a couple weeks ago, so unless they all suddenly went bad....

I can tell something is flaky with the port connection on the Kobo. Sometimes plugging the USB cord in doesn't bring up the "Computer detected" dialogue option to connect to the computer, or I'll see it come up for a second before it disappears and the Kobo then just displays the regular screen. When it does that, I can get the Computer detected prompt back up by pressing the USB cord harder into the port, but then it's still not a firm connection, because a little movement will sometimes break the connection. And even when it says it's connected and the I get the "Connected and charging" screen, the drive doesn't appear in Windows.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imno007 View Post
If that's directed at me, yes, I've tried multiple cables and USB ports (2 and 3). But all the same ports and cables worked up until a couple weeks ago, so unless they all suddenly went bad....

I can tell something is flaky with the port connection on the Kobo. Sometimes plugging the USB cord in doesn't bring up the "Computer detected" dialogue option to connect to the computer, or I'll see it come up for a second before it disappears and the Kobo then just displays the regular screen. When it does that, I can get the Computer detected prompt back up by pressing the USB cord harder into the port, but then it's still not a firm connection, because a little movement will sometimes break the connection. And even when it says it's connected and the I get the "Connected and charging" screen, the drive doesn't appear in Windows.
Have you tried the cable that came with the Libra?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

According to this description, it most likely seems that you damaged the USB socket. And you need to either solder it or change the device under warranty (if any).

Have you tried connecting the device to another computer, by the way? You do not have this in a post.

Last edited by Semwize; 07-07-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #11
imno007

Yes, as I said above in my first post, I've tried another computer. Also, I'm not sure that I personally damaged the USB port, as opposed to it simply being a poor factory solder that broke down over time. Having searched around, it seems to be a fairly common problem with these kobos. I don't know, maybe I've been lucky, but this is the first time I remember ever having had a USB port fail on any device I've owned - well, any mobile device. (I've had one or two go bad on PC.) Point being that I'm not in the habit of aggressively trying to jam cords into the port the wrong way or anything else that might damage them.

Anyway, it's a bummer, doubly so because the warranty has expired, but I can live with the Dropbox solution until I buy another reader - although, again, the next one will have an SD slot, so that if something like this ever happens again I'll have a backup method of sideloading content.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #12
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll have a backup method of sideloading content.
The backup method sideloading content on any Kobo is NickelMenu with a configured FTP server.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The backup method sideloading content on any Kobo is NickelMenu with a configured FTP server.
How do you set up NickelMenu if you can't connect the device to a computer?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
How do you set up NickelMenu if you can't connect the device to a computer?

Shari
Hmmm.... devmodeon in the search box, telnet to your Kobo and ftp the files?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #15
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
telnet
Yes, have to try that way.
Then configure Nickel Menu and use any FTP client to transfer files. From a computer or phone / tablet.