Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Help with graphic novels and illustrated books

I have several graphic novels and some books with illustrations that I used Calibre to move from my kindle onto my Kobo Libra. They move and open just fine but the in the case of the comics the panes are zoomed in and cannot see the entire page and can't really move around. The same happens with novels that have illustrations, the illustrations are there but they are smaller and not centered like they are on the kindle.

I converted them to epubs in calibre then put on kobo via dropbox. Is there a different format I should be using or some setting?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers up ideas
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would suspect that the image sizes are being specified in pixels or another absolute measurement which Amazon requires for mobi format likely using media queries. My personal workflow is to use KindleUnpack to convert to epub and then edit the ePub removing the Amazon media queries since the RMSDK renderer used for ePub on a Kobo is not happy with media queries. If you convert to kepub, the WebKit based renderer used for kepub is happier with media queries.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would suspect that the image sizes are being specified in pixels or another absolute measurement which Amazon requires for mobi format likely using media queries. My personal workflow is to use KindleUnpack to convert to epub and then edit the ePub removing the Amazon media queries since the RMSDK renderer used for ePub on a Kobo is not happy with media queries. If you convert to kepub, the WebKit based renderer used for kepub is happier with media queries.
One slight correction. RMSDK ignores Amazon media queries.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks, I will look into this as well. I responded in another thread to someone who mentioned similar problem, I am posting below for others and any critique:

First step, you only need to do this once...Under Calibre 'Preferences->Interface->Toolbars and menus->main toolbar add Unpack book.

Then for each comic you need to do the following:
1. Import the Kindle AZW3 into Calibre.
2. With that comic highlighted choose Unpack book.
3. Select AZW3 in pop up dialog, hit Explode book.
4. After that runs, it opens file explorer to the exploded comic. Within Images subdirectory is the comic. There are other subs but I have no idea yet what they are or if you need them.
5. I would copy contents of images subdirectory to somewhere else as the directory you are brought to is a temporary directory which goes POOF when you exit Unpack book dialog.
6. Next, select all images in image sub, right click, select Compress to ZIP
7. rename zip to something meaningful and change file extension to .CBZ (Not sure if need to change extension or not, but I did)
8. close the Unpack book dialog.
9. within Calibre add the newly created CBZ file to library.
10. Connect the Kobo
11. Send that new file to the Kobo, eject and enjoy.

All that worked for me. The comic I tried it with was Dune The Graphic Novel Book 1. It is now on my Kobo Colour and looks great.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, KindleUnpack is my plugin of choice for unpacking azw3/KF8 and mobi ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:05 PM   #6
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPads and iPhones
I was the one who posted on the other thread asking for tips. Thank you for this process, it works really well.
Using the KindleUnpack plugin, it actually generates an EPUB that in my case worked as well as the CBZ. My only current issue now is that I've found out that on my test case (Elric - The Ruby Throne) Amazon/Comixology has kept the spreads as a single image.
I don't know the technical details for AZW/KF8/KFX, but the way comics work in panel view on the Kindle may have something to do with that.

Some editing is inevitable, and it is awesome to be able to have them all in the Kobo.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote