Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 06:59 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm a little surprised you consider my posts (at least in this thread) so wild. Your original post seemed very vague? From a programming standpoint it seems to me if koreader is storing data, Kobo can access it.
Most of your posts seem to postulate rather wild theories. Much like listening to my grandchildren postulating their what-ifs, you do not seem to bother with doing any serious thinking before posting.

From a programming viewpoint sure. From Kobo's point of view, what benefit do they receive from accessing KOReader's statistics database? Compare this to the cost of their developers locating the database, reading the information out of it and sending that information off to Kobo for that small percentage of Kobo readers with KOReader installed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:43 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

From a programming viewpoint sure. From Kobo's point of view, what benefit do they receive from accessing KOReader's statistics database? Compare this to the cost of their developers locating the database, reading the information out of it and sending that information off to Kobo for that small percentage of Kobo readers with KOReader installed.
This I agree with. Maybe lead with this next time.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2024, 03:59 AM   #48
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
To remove a protection..

Hi. I pull up this topic.
Talking about the DRM issue on another discussion group.. I was alerted by someone that removing it is quite risky because inside a protected epub there are a lot of hidden markers and UUID..

For what you know, is it true?
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:18 AM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Talking about the DRM issue on another discussion group.. I was alerted by someone that removing it is quite risky because inside a protected epub there are a lot of hidden markers and UUID..

Probably, but if you don't share your deDRMed books indiscriminately over the net, who is going to know or care? If you mean that you could get in trouble over deDRMed books being on your Kobo or Kindle, no, you won't. Unless your device was stolen and the thief uploaded the books to a file-sharing site, perhaps.

For your own personal use, there is no risk in removing the DRM.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-03-2024 at 04:28 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:38 AM   #50
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

I lost the habit..honestly. I don't remove the DRM and I certainly don't share my files. I just want to know more about the matter in deep.
Anyway, it is said everywhere that the act itself, for one's personal use or not is in fact an offence.
We the final users must face facts, for unfair they could be.
Advert
Old 05-03-2024, 04:43 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The UUID is not a watermark. I have removed the DRM from plenty of ePub and I've seen the code and there are not lots of hidden markers. Also, DeDRM has an option to remove watermarks which do remove the UUID and other things if they are there. This would be done should the ePub had DRM or not. DeDRM even removes the Kindle eBook watermark even if the eBook has no DRM.

You are worrying over nothing.

Quote:
I lost the habit..honestly. I don't remove the DRM and I certainly don't share my files. I just want to know more about the matter in deep.
Anyway, it is said everywhere that the act itself, for one's personal use or not is in fact an offence.
As long as removing DRM s for your personal use, there's no offense. It's called fair use.

It seems wherever you get your information is wrong about most everything.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-03-2024 at 04:48 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:58 AM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as removing DRM s for your personal use, there's no offense. It's called fair use.

It's not an offence in the US. It is in the EU (there's no such concept as "fair use" here).
Old 05-03-2024, 05:00 AM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I know it is. So what? I'm not going to blindly follow a law that's directly harmful to my interests as a customer and exists only to protect the interests of the publishers.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:18 AM   #54
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's not an offence in the US. It is in the EU (there's no such concept as "fair use" here).
Yes, exactly. We don't have any type of "fair use" in the European Union.
So, today I learnt a thing that I ignored! American citizens may legally remove the DRM for personal use. How fortunate.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:08 AM   #55
Penny
Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, I know it is. So what? I'm not going to blindly follow a law that's directly harmful to my interests as a customer and exists only to protect the interests of the publishers.
This is the correct mindset, and it's sad to see people complacently following laws put in place by politicians who are getting their pockets lined by the corporations. People would seemingly give up their firstborn if a law mandated it.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:12 AM   #56
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Yes, exactly. We don't have any type of "fair use" in the European Union.
So, today I learnt a thing that I ignored! American citizens may legally remove the DRM for personal use. How fortunate.
Yep, do it monthly with ebooks, audiobooks and less frequently now blu-rays. All that I bought on my one and they sit on my NAS and cloud backup.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It may not be legal to remove the DRM in the USA. But I do it anyway because I do it for personal use. I refuse to have DRM on eBooks I've purchased.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Many older members here have been burned by the said law when bookstores went out of business or DRM servers shut down, making their DRMed ebooks unreadable. If one is willing to risk losing their books (yes, I know it's pretty unlikely that Amazon or Kobo will go bankrupt or close their ebook business in the near future, but it's not impossible, to say nothing of various smaller companies), then one is of course free to leave the DRM intact. And there are lots of people who only read everything once or mostly read library books and just don't care about DRM. Personally I'm not willing to risk my ebook library, collected throughout many years, just because the law says I must.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:39 AM   #59
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Quote:
It may not be legal to remove the DRM in the USA. ...
What am I missing here. I thought in your first quote you were saying it is legal. It made me look, and this popped up (which I don't recall hearing about):

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-use-is-legal/
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:51 AM   #60
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you're concerned about a book being identified by a UUID, just generate another UUID and replace it. I don't think it loses you anything.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote