Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 07:01 PM   #31
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's too easy to see what's wrong with some of the reviews. What;s the point of comparing two different Readers screens when you don't have what's on them be the same or as close as you can get?
I think the reviews have been doing a good job summarizing what the actual typical user experience is going to be. My only.... criticism with the LC reviews is that many are pointing out the poorer quality of B&W text and attributing that to the colour layer. I think they are mistaken. We will see what observations people have when they start comparing Clara Colour and Clara BW side by side.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:40 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
My only.... criticism with the LC reviews is that many are pointing out the poorer quality of B&W text and attributing that to the colour layer. I think they are mistaken.
Why?
A 300 dpi mono only screen is going to inherently have better B&W text than a similar screen with a translucent coloured dot on each pixel. Basic physics and mathematics. Certainly Kaleido is a better idea than Triton, but you can't still have the same mono quality. The coloured dots are a passive printed layer between the light pipe for the front light and the active screen. They reduce sharpness, brightness and contrast compared to not having them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 08:19 AM   #33
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why?
A 300 dpi mono only screen is going to inherently have better B&W text than a similar screen with a translucent coloured dot on each pixel. Basic physics and mathematics. Certainly Kaleido is a better idea than Triton, but you can't still have the same mono quality. The coloured dots are a passive printed layer between the light pipe for the front light and the active screen. They reduce sharpness, brightness and contrast compared to not having them.
As I already said earlier,, because I actually *tried* it.. put the same font, with same weight and same size, and compare the two side by side,, they look the same, as far as sharpness and perceived contrast. (should be obvious, but in most lighting situation, the LC needs brighter light setting, and there is visible, speckling on the background, that looks like very very fine dust with an occasional colorful iridescent sparkle if the light hits it just right.)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:15 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
As I already said earlier,, because I actually *tried* it.. put the same font, with same weight and same size, and compare the two side by side,, they look the same, as far as sharpness and perceived contrast. (should be obvious, but in most lighting situation, the LC needs brighter light setting, and there is visible, speckling on the background, that looks like very very fine dust with an occasional colorful iridescent sparkle if the light hits it just right.)
They can't unless your eyesight isn't good enough.
It's totally impossible to have the same quality of mono text.

I use all my eink just with ambient light, but a frontlight setting will make no difference to contrast, only brightness.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #35
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They can't unless your eyesight isn't good enough.
It's totally impossible to have the same quality of mono text.

I use all my eink just with ambient light, but a frontlight setting will make no difference to contrast, only brightness.
Ok dude. Regardless of anything else I say, if you prefer to use only ambient light, you really wont' like this device anyhow.
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 10:59 AM   #36
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
First of all, I love the Libra Colour. Realy feels great to be back to the Kobo operating system with it greater freedom of use. What I have found is that it is best not to compare. Instead, it is best to find the light level that feels comfortable to your eye. For me I notice that that gradually lowers the light over repeated uses. The lettering and light on my device look incredible except in light levels 24-27 when there is some light unevenness. Level 24 and below or 28 and above are flawless. The colors are great and really make a psychological difference to enjoying the device. The note taking on even sideloaded documents is phenomenal.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #37
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I have noticed in bright light that there is also a square overlay on the screen. Is this normal? I haven't seen anybody mention it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010 copy.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	208048  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 05-04-2024 at 09:00 PM. Reason: attached file
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:41 AM   #38
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I have noticed in bright light that there is also a square overlay on the screen. Is this normal? I haven't seen anybody mention it.

(I tried to attach a file but my iPhone won't play nice so here is an Imgur link until I get back home
https://imgur.com/a/isHl7DR)
Yes, I can see the overlay at certain angles.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:50 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

(I tried to attach a file but my iPhone won't play nice so here is an Imgur link until I get back home
Do you see this with all covers or just covers that have to be enlarged to fit the screen?

Do you see these squares if you use the new covers?

https://kevinhearne.com/book-categories/iron-druid
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 01:04 PM   #40
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you see this with all covers or just covers that have to be enlarged to fit the screen?

Do you see these squares if you use the new covers?

https://kevinhearne.com/book-categories/iron-druid
It has nothing to do with the cover, it's intrinsic to the device, and needs a dark image to see clearly. A black square would work best
Old 05-04-2024, 03:35 PM   #41
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Pfff so bad, I went into several shops today, they sell the Kobo color, but they don't exhibit any for test.

One store said that it's Kobo sales reps who decide what to put on the shelves.

What the heck.... How one can buy a device without even putting its hand on it to play a bit.
Anghirrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:45 PM   #42
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Pfff so bad, I went into several shops today, they sell the Kobo color, but they don't exhibit any for test.

What the heck.... How one can buy a device without even putting its hand on it to play a bit.
We order it and cross our fingers

(I live in the rural US so I knew nowhere near me would have a device to test)
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
We order it and cross our fingers

(I live in the rural US so I knew nowhere near me would have a device to test)
I've bought all my dozen or so ereaders sight unseen. Never returned any of them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:03 PM   #44
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post

I've purchased many ereaders in the past 15 years without seeing one of them beforehand. None returned.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:48 PM   #45
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:

I've seen similar on regular tablets. It was light catching the usually clear traces of the capacitive touch layer. I don't know if it's certain angles and certain polarization, etc. but it looked much like your photo. I couldn't see it straight on, only at an off angle.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, libra