Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #106
konstantinus
Connoisseur
konstantinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The advantage is you don't have to connect multiple times.
In order not to do this, I will have to reboot the device. Doubtful benefit. IMHO
P.S. It seemed to me that the process has become much faster.
konstantinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #107
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantinus View Post
In order not to do this, I will have to reboot the device. Doubtful benefit. IMHO
P.S. It seemed to me that the process has become much faster.
The benefit I had from doing it was: the intermittent connection issues on the AuraE2v1, my automated scripts (it's easier to do the same thing every time than to switch each time it's connected), the speed improvements you noticed, and the ability to do more complex things with the metadata (I have a custom build to be able to add metadata ahead of time for when I don't transfer all my books at once). In addition, the code is a bit simpler this way.

And yes, it is a bit faster in this version because of the triggers and improved metadata scanning.

I might be able to patch nickel to re-read the series metadata on import, but I'm not totally certain if it's possible yet.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #108
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I might be able to patch nickel to re-read the series metadata on import, but I'm not totally certain if it's possible yet.
Now THAT would be awesome. Or a standalone daemon that monitors nickel for when it does its import then kicks in using the same logic nickel does to determine which books are new and rereads them could work too.

One thing I noticed is that seriesmeta will scan through hidden directories. I know that the logic changed in newer firmwares for nickel to read through hidden folders too, but would it be possible to have a command switch to enable or disable that ability in seriesmeta? It seems inefficient to do if someone is storing epubs in hidden folders to be used in Plato or koreader never intending for it to be used in nickel (in my case, it's problematic epubs that choke nickel, like some Delphi Classics collections).
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #109
konstantinus
Connoisseur

Quote:
The benefit I had from doing it was: the intermittent connection issues on the AuraE2v1, my automated scripts (it's easier to do the same thing every time than to switch each time it's connected), the speed improvements you noticed, and the ability to do more complex things with the metadata (I have a custom build to be able to add metadata ahead of time for when I don't transfer all my books at once). In addition, the code is a bit simpler this way.

And yes, it is a bit faster in this version because of the triggers and improved metadata scanning.

I see. Thanks. So far, the need to reconnect / reboot and complete scanning of all books each time make seriesmeta an interesting but time-consuming program, unfortunately. For me, naturally.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #110
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see. Thanks. So far, the need to reconnect / reboot and complete scanning of all books each time make seriesmeta an interesting but time-consuming program, unfortunately. For me, naturally.
No problem. Also keep in mind that you don't have to reboot right away unless you absolutely need the series metadata before your next reboot (it won't cause any issues if you do other stuff in between or run seriesmeta again). Out of curiosity, how large are your books, how many do you have, and how long does it take to scan? I have around 600 on my device at once, and it takes ~30 seconds to scan everything.
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #111
konstantinus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how large are your books, how many do you have, and how long does it take to scan?
I can’t answer now about the time of the scan - I cleaned the device, the number of books - in different ways, from 200 to 2000.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #112
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I can’t answer now about the time of the scan - I cleaned the device, the number of books - in different ways, from 200 to 2000.
I've got 12,000 and a 2.2GB Kobo database running on a 32-bit Intel Clovertrail Atom machine and it takes forever, lol. It's a special CPU that executes slightly differently, I believe, and most of it seems to be CPU bound so that probably explains it.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:13 AM   #113
pat34
pat34 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Hi,

Just a simple question.
There is a way to have the .kebub extension (not .kebub.epub) ? I know, i can write a script to convert and rename ...

Thanks.
pat34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 AM   #114
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat34 View Post
Hi,

Just a simple question.
There is a way to have the .kebub extension (not .kebub.epub) ? I know, i can write a script to convert and rename ...
Another simple question:

Why? Unless you are going to add the kepub to calibre, nothing will know what to do with the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #115
pat34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Another simple question:

Why? Unless you are going to add the kepub to calibre, nothing will know what to do with the books.
I just want to try the kepubify one, before to import in my calibre database.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #116
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I just want to try the kepubify one, before to import in my calibre database.
I don't know what you're asking, but I you want to try kepubify, drag the folder with your books onto kepubify.exe, then copy the folder name_converted to your Kobo.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #117
pat34

Quote:
I don't know what you're asking, but I you want to try kepubify, drag the folder with your books onto kepubify.exe, then copy the folder name_converted to your Kobo.
Ok, i know about the d&d process to convert directories ...
I just want kepubify generate a file myfile.kepub in place of myfile.kepub.epub
maybe i didn't see a command line option ?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #118
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, i know about the d&d process to convert directories ...
I just want kepubify generate a file myfile.kepub in place of myfile.kepub.epub
maybe i didn't see a command line option ?
Oh, I see. I think I'm going to add this feature for the next version, as it has been a frequent request.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #119
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Oh, I see. I think I'm going to add this feature for the next version, as it has been a frequent request.
I can see the benefit of this, for people who want both 'pure' original epub and upload with Calibre. You can import the books in Calibre and send to Kobo with the Extended driver, and get much the same results. However, this does take time. Barely noticeable for 1 or 2 average size books, but significant if you are trying to send 100's at a time.

The solution to this is to keep the kepub version directly in the library... But Calibre itself can't do this without milting the epubs through the full conversion process, which will irrevocably change the actual formatting.

So an option in your standalone converter to make the files import into Calibre can be of great usability for some folk.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #120
pat34

Quote:
So, wait and see

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify, kobo