Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
MrsPartridge
MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Sony 650
Swiping to turn page but it highlights instead

I still have a problem trying to turn the page without accidently highlighting a word or a phrase. I'm trying to do it upwards diagonally but about every 3 pages, I've highlighted a word or phrase.
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, that happens to me sometimes too. It can be frustrating. Try to swipe in a blank area of the page, like between paragraphs. That works best for me. If there is no blank area, then I do the slightly diagonal swipe.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
ctcntera2
ctcntera2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
I was having the same problem, but I figured it out after I read the user guide just last night, oddly enough! It's been bugging me for a while, too.

You can highlight by double-tapping a word or by tapping once and then dragging on the second time you touch the screen (see page 40 of the user guide on your 650). I read another post where they were talking about highlighting sections, which I couldn't figure out how to do without reading the user guide (I usually only read user guides at last resort -- I usually check here first).

What's happening is that when you try to turn the page, it is detecting two taps and is then highlighting. Although... this knowledge only goes so far. Even after finally figuring this out last night, I still accidentally highlighted some words instead of turning the page. But at least I know why now (and just use the page turn button on pages with really dense text).
ctcntera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I found that a very short swipe turns the page and avoids the problem on my 950.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
MrsPartridge
MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Sony 650
I try to do a mini swipe in the margin and it helps but doesn't always work.

Glad someone read the manual for us. I guess I'm doing a light touch before the swipe. Good to know! Thanks.
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I swipe either straight down or left diagonally.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Diagonally
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I haven't had that problem at all when swiping to turn pages and just grabbed my 350 now to see how exactly how I do it. To advance pages forward, the movement I set it to is from right to left, just how you would turn a page. Since my thumb is usually resting near the right edge of the screen, it usually starts the swipe in the margin, so I'm usually nowhere near able to accidentally touch any words, then my thumb lazily moves diagonally downward, and it's really a minimal movement. If you have your page advances set to the opposite movement, left to right, I can see how a "heavy-handed" thumb might do a slight tap first before a swipe.

I don't have the problem swiping the opposite way either though, from within the text and left to right, and I still don't grab words to bring up the dictionary instead, it always is a clean swipe for me, movement again is diagonally just from bottom left to upper right. All I can guess is that you're doing a very slight touch first, then swipe, instead of just the swipe. It's really very sensitive and requires just the lightest of touches for me to advance the pages and you can easily do an accidental tap first even with a finger twitch.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
As has been pointed out, the issue is the way the reader uses a "tap and swipe" for highlighting.

So a solid no-nonsense swipe usually causes only a single motion to be detected, where if I just use a more casual less sure motion, then it will cause a highlight much more frequently.

Once I understood that, I guess I started to make some unconscious adjustments, because it started to happen less and less frequently, and only very rarely do I now end up with a highlight instead of a page change.

If it doesn't get better for you, then it's possible that the touch screen itself is causing unreliable detection, which could account for single swipes being broken up and detected as a separate tap and swipe motion.

To check your touch screen, I recommend that you just bring up the built in drawing application, and draw some lines with your finger.

There will always be a slight lag due to the time needed to update the e-ink screen (this is normal for ALL e-ink devices), but the touch screen should be able to accurately follow what you are drawing with no misses or gaps.

As long as the touch screen is working well, then with some luck, you should have fewer issues over time as you subconsciously adjust to the motion needed.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'd suggest..

I'd suggest that you might try switching the direction of your swipe to turn pages. There is a setting that makes a swipe in the opposite direction do the page turn. It might solve things for you.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote