Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
kmack9
kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: KOBO aura HD
Angry Conversion of EPUB to KEPUB using Calibre

I'm new to e-readers and also to Calibre! I'm trying to convert some books in EPUB to KEPUB format using Calibre with the format conversion plug-in. The conversion seems to work - with 'KEPUB' added to 'EPUB' in the right hand column but when I try to send the converted file to my new KOBO Aura HD the available options in the 'choose format' box are EPUB, PDF and TXT - i.e. there is no option to send the KEPUB file. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
kmack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack9 View Post
I'm new to e-readers and also to Calibre! I'm trying to convert some books in EPUB to KEPUB format using Calibre with the format conversion plug-in. The conversion seems to work - with 'KEPUB' added to 'EPUB' in the right hand column but when I try to send the converted file to my new KOBO Aura HD the available options in the 'choose format' box are EPUB, PDF and TXT - i.e. there is no option to send the KEPUB file. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Which plugin are you talking about, the Kobo extended plugin or the Kepub output plugin? From what you write I would think you refer to the latter, as with the former no kepub books are created on your Calibre library, and conversion happens upon sending the epub book to the device.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
kmack9
kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.kmack9 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, it's the Kepub output plug-in that I installed from within Calibre. I'll try the extended plugin and see if I have any more success. Thanks again...
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
kmack9

Success! Thanks for your help...
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Success! Thanks for your help...
no problem, glad it helped :-)
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Can I ask a (possibly) dumb question?

Why would you want to convert EPUB to KEPUB? I mean...epubs work fine on the Aura...is there some advantage with KEPUB?
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Some people like the extra features that the kepub engine provide; the different handling of footnotes; the page number within a chapter vs within the book; items like that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmbrain View Post
Why would you want to convert EPUB to KEPUB? I mean...epubs work fine on the Aura...is there some advantage with KEPUB?
you can have a look at the kepub.epub thread. Some differences are discussed from this post, though some of them no longer apply, some because of new "discoveries" (for instance, you can display the total number of pages in a kepub with a simple modification of the Kobo_Reader.conf file), some because of patches and/or firmware changes. As far as i am aware, though, the different handling of footnotes PeterT referred to is still there.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thank you, Peter & Paola. I wasn't aware of the differences.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmbrain View Post
Can I ask a (possibly) dumb question?

I convert all annotated books to kepub because it is the only manageable way to read them on kobos (I have a glo and an aura hd). It worked fine on the same epubs on my sony, but I do like the pop-up kepub version.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
This is because of the necessity for extra formats (which includes KePub) to be defined in the driver. The use cases for the conversion plugin are quite limited, but there were people asking for it. And I was interested in seeing if I could do it, which is partly how the driver plugin got started The other part being that I use calibre and I didn't like that Kobo wasn't giving me the best experience they could, so I decided to try to make non-Kobo books be as good as Kobo books. I like to think I've mostly succeeded (and in some areas, done better) but I'm a little biased

As you've already discovered, for what you want the driver plugin is your only option.

Last edited by jgoguen; 09-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, it's the Kepub output plug-in that I installed from within Calibre. I'll try the extended plugin and see if I have any more success. Thanks again...
You can just drag and drop your books no problem to the reader or sd card.

Then eject and the books will appear in your library after processing

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
This is because of the necessity for extra formats (which includes KePub) to be defined in the driver. The use cases for the conversion plugin are quite limited, but there were people asking for it. And I was interested in seeing if I could do it, which is partly how the driver plugin got started The other part being that I use calibre and I didn't like that Kobo wasn't giving me the best experience they could, so I decided to try to make non-Kobo books be as good as Kobo books. I like to think I've mostly succeeded (and in some areas, done better) but I'm a little biased

As you've already discovered, for what you want the driver plugin is your only option.
I knew there was something I forgot this week. I meant to add kepub as a format for the main driver. I'll do it this week.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
you can have a look at the kepub.epub thread. Some differences are discussed from this post, though some of them no longer apply, some because of new "discoveries" (for instance, you can display the total number of pages in a kepub with a simple modification of the Kobo_Reader.conf file), some because of patches and/or firmware changes. As far as i am aware, though, the different handling of footnotes PeterT referred to is still there.
what do i change to get the total numbers of pages in the reader file? i cant find that information in the post you linked
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCSlayer View Post
what do i change to get the total numbers of pages in the reader file? i cant find that information in the post you linked
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCSlayer View Post
Connect your device to a computer, and navigate to the file "Kobo_eReader.conf" in the directory .kobo\Kobo\Kobo_eReader.conf".
Open this file (which is a text file) and:

1. IF the files contains somewhere the heading:
Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
then add somewhere beaneat it the line
Quote:
FullBookPageNumbers=true
2. IF there is no line, then simply add
Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=true
to the file

Save, disconnect safely, and you should be done, though I cannot remember whether you have to restart the reader for the change to take effect. Now when you load a book you may notice it will take a little bit longer to load, ditto if you change the font size (as I think in this case it changes the whole book in one go rather than chapter by chapter, but I am not sure).

Also, before doing any changes I would suggest backing up your reader completely (i.e. copy the whole drive on your computer), so you can restore it should anything go wrong (which it should not).

For more things you could change have a look at this thread.