Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
pblasi
Enthusiast
pblasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
epub, kepub, hyphenation and word-spacing

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time trying to get proper hyphenation in epubs and kepubs in my kobo aura, but found some issues on the way. I've tried kobo-extended plugin, hyphenate this! (of course loading hyphenate dics from LibreOffice) and many more. So, now that's all I can get:

With epubs: Correct hyphenation, but in some lines, words are too close, almost without space between them.

With kepubs: Correct word-spacing, but wrong hyphenation.

Anyone knows how to fix any of these issues with epubs and kepubs?

It's making me crazy... thanks!
pblasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblasi View Post
With epubs: Correct hyphenation, but in some lines, words are too close, almost without space between them.
The word spacing in the epub reader seems just perfect to me, but perhaps you could add some extra with the word-spacing css property? If that worked then it would be easy enough to do it automatically when sending the book from Calibre, by using the Modify CSS feature in the KoboTouch driver.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
With epubs: Correct hyphenation, but in some lines, words are too close, almost without space between them
Does this happen with all fonts or just one or a few fonts?

Quote:

With kepubs: Correct word-spacing, but wrong hyphenation.
I'm not sure if you can fix wrong hypenation. The hypenation routine 'counts' every character, including punctuation characters. This can give wrong results.

Code:
UTF-8
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
These are the default settings for hyph_en.dic.
LEFTHYPHENMIN: minimal hyphenation distance from the left end of the word
RIGHTHYPHENMIN: minimal hyphenation distance from the right end of the word
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN: min. hyph. dist. from the left compound word boundary
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN: min. hyph. dist. from the right comp. word boundary

Here 'hyphenation distance' are the number of characters before and after a hyphen.

To my knowledge you can only reduce this by setting the hypenation values less aggressive. To make hyphenation less agressive you should increase the default values to values that are acceptable/work for you. But it won't fix 'wrong' hyphenation as it sees puntuation characters as alphabetical characters.

Last edited by Anak; 08-15-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I have no problem with spacing or hyphanation.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
pblasi
Enthusiast
pblasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The word spacing in the epub reader seems just perfect to me, but perhaps you could add some extra with the word-spacing css property? If that worked then it would be easy enough to do it automatically when sending the book from Calibre, by using the Modify CSS feature in the KoboTouch driver.
I've added word-spacing css property in Calibre and "e-book viewer" in Calibre shows the changes. However, stock kobo reader doesn't seem to recognize this property and word-spacing keeps as always.
pblasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've added word-spacing css property in Calibre and "e-book viewer" in Calibre shows the changes. However, stock kobo reader doesn't seem to recognize this property and word-spacing keeps as always.
Better stop trying as the letter-spacing and word-spacing properties don't work.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote