Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Accessing Library From a different PC Possible?

I have a question. I keep my Calibre Library on my passport drive which is plugged in to my Desktop. I currently do not have access to my desktop because my husband has claimed it. It's Windows Vista so it's old.

I have a laptop which is Windows 10 so I thought I asked if there be any issues. I was wondering if there was a way through my home network if I make my passport a shared drive if I could run Calibre on my laptop but access my libraries that are on the external drive connected to my desktop.

I'm concerned about compatibility issues being two different versions of Windows. There would never be two instances running. He never lets me use the desktop. He has his own limited account and no Calibre access.

Is doing this possible?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Windows versions should not be an issue.

It is Windows vs Linux because of file system CASE name issues that causes grief bouncing between
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I can do this and still be able to access the library on either PC? That's wonderful! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So I can do this and still be able to access the library on either PC? That's wonderful! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1528
You would be better of using calibre portable as that way all your settings can go from one computer to the other with the external drive.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Blossom - There's no substantial difference between a shared drive on a PC and a Network Attached Storage appliance, or a file and printer server or Dropbox.

So, you need to be aware of this ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Passport' is an external USB3 (2.0 compatible) drive, not a NAS so she is good to go.
I do second install 'Portable" for use when away from your home base equipment. You can still use the same Libraries with Installed Calibre

Use the OS Disk Management tool to assign a single drive letter (I use L: ) so you can start desktop Calibre, knowing the Library path will always be the same no matter which USB port you attach the drive to
Old 01-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I have a laptop which is Windows 10 so I thought I asked if there be any issues. I was wondering if there was a way through my home network if I make my passport a shared drive if I could run Calibre on my laptop but access my libraries that are on the external drive connected to my desktop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
'Passport' is an external USB3 (2.0 compatible) drive, not a NAS so she is good to go.
No she isn't, unless she actually moves the drive to the laptop.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No she isn't, unless she actually moves the drive to the laptop.
Missed that
Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@chaley -

@Blossom - could you relocate the Passport from the desktop to the laptop. If your husband needs access to non-calibre data on the Passport, and assuming it's simple file access, you could configure a share on your laptop he can use.

Or maybe you could put your calibre libraries on thumb drive. I recently bought a 64GB Toshiba thumb (~USD35.00) which sports regular 3.0 USB at one end an mini-usb at the other. That means it can be used on android devices as an OTG drive without any extras... to lose or malfunction. Then you could access the libraries directly with Calibre Companion via its Cloud-on-a-Drive feature... so I'm told

BR
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That means it can be used on android devices as an OTG drive without any extras... to lose or malfunction. Then you could access the libraries directly with Calibre Companion via its Cloud-on-a-Drive feature... so I'm told

BR
Unfortunately CC does not support OTG for the "cloud library" connection. OTG uses the Android SAF (Storage Access Framework) instead of presenting data as a "normal" file system. I have never succeeded in opening a database using the SAF, which makes opening a calibre library difficult.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley -

@Blossom - could you relocate the Passport from the desktop to the laptop. If your husband needs access to non-calibre data on the Passport, and assuming it's simple file access, you could configure a share on your laptop he can use.

Or maybe you could put your calibre libraries on thumb drive. I recently bought a 64GB Toshiba thumb (~USD35.00) which sports regular 3.0 USB at one end an mini-usb at the other. That means it can be used on android devices as an OTG drive without any extras... to lose or malfunction. Then you could access the libraries directly with Calibre Companion via its Cloud-on-a-Drive feature... so I'm told

BR
The drive cannot be relocated due to Vista thinking it's part of the PC. I can't even eject it. If I do Vista will not boot.

My Calibre Library is 25GB my only thumb drive is 8GB. There's also syncing with Dropbox so it needs to stay on the desktop. I do two manual syncs one to Dropbox and one to another external drive.

If you don't think it will work. I'll just have to let it collect dust and sneak once or twice every few months. My options are limited unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use Calibre across the network. I do so with a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 10 Surface Pro. I have the laptop and the Surface mapping the external drive on the desktop and I connect to that. But I only connect one at a time so I don't accidentally connect to the same library more than once.

You have to use password protected networking. If the Vista system does not get logged in then you'll need to create an account to use for networking. if you do log in, just use that account. You map the external drive from the laptop. Once the network link is setup, you can just access your Calibre Libraries no bother. But before you do, make sure you have full read/write access to the drive.

Another issue is that you have a serious problem with the Vista system. The external drive is not needed to run the system and because it is, something is very wrong that needs to be fixed. Something in Vista is accessing the external drive in a way it should not be. Check to see what the Vista system is doing with the external drive. You should be able to disconnect the external drive and the system boot no problem. One thing to try is disconnect the external drive and try booting in safe mode and see if it works. If it does work, then something that's running at startup is causing a problem and you can just not run it or fix it so it doesnt need the external drive ever. But this is an issue that needs fixing because that's not the way Windows is supposed to work. Something is seriously broken.

Read the following in case it's your last ditch effort to fix the Vista system. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tut...tartup-repair/

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The drive cannot be relocated due to Vista thinking it's part of the PC. I can't even eject it. If I do Vista will not boot.
Sent from my XT1528
:
1) had you (or your agent ) 'relocated' the user folder location?
2) was the OS originally on internal drive? Does that drive still even work. (checkdisk)
3) Bios Boot order setting so USB is NOT before the HD (and the HD is a boot drive) (I found this the hardway, my PC would not reboot if the Passport was plugged in)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Unfortunately CC does not support OTG for the "cloud library" connection. OTG uses the Android SAF (Storage Access Framework) instead of presenting data as a "normal" file system. I have never succeeded in opening a database using the SAF, which makes opening a calibre library difficult.

@chaley - have you tried using StickMount, it has enabled me to use Cheetah Sync (a.k.a Folder Sync) on some (not all) recalcitrant SFA only devices - as you can guess it requires a regular file system.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-03-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
3) Bios Boot order setting so USB is NOT before the HD (and the HD is a boot drive) (I found this the hardway, my PC would not reboot if the Passport was plugged in)
- seen similar a couple of times, but as you'd appreciate it's not a Passport issue per se, it can happen with any external disk drive.

I have the opposite; takes minutes to boot if a certain external drive is powered up; if I power it down, within 1-2 secs the boot completes and starts the OS. The drive is attached to a monitor hub, if I attach it to another USB port it's fine. The drive is normally powered down.

BR