Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
php???

I have just completed a complete re-build of my win 7 pro system.

When I try to download an ebook e.g. title.mobi or lrf or epub I get the following:

Quote:
title.php
I have never seen this before.

Any ideas??

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
The only site I experience this is with the MobileRead library.

If you are using Internet Explorer try adding the problem sites to the compatibility list which worked for me.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, if you are using Internet Explorer, DON'T!

If you rename the book, can you read it? It could be it just downloaded with the wrong filename.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No, if you are using Internet Explorer, DON'T!

If you rename the book, can you read it? It could be it just downloaded with the wrong filename.
If the problem is the previously mentioned on they are the correct format so no issue except for the filename.

Just because you hate IE doesn't make your shouting about it of any value to the matter, nor of any interest to those more open minded.

For the only naming instances I have come across it has been a server end problem. MobileRead was fixed once, but seems to have reverted again (there have been a number of threads about this over the last year or so). On another small site I use the epubs once started getting named as zips , the site owner corrected the problem immediately when informed of the issue, so was only fleeting.

As I say, it is just a case of adding the site to the compatability list where it will probably be lonely as of the many of the other sites I visit it is the only one non compliant.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found the problem

The problem was IE 11. I must have allowed an ie upgrade.

I reverted to IE 9 and things are smooth again.
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you do have the problem again, Charlie, you can right click the download link, select "Save Link As" (or it might be "Save Target As") from the pop-up menu, and enter the filename manually.

Seems to be working fine in the latest version of Firefox, so it might be an issue specific to IE11.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you do have the problem again, Charlie, you can right click the download link, select "Save Link As" (or it might be "Save Target As") from the pop-up menu, and enter the filename manually.

Seems to be working fine in the latest version of Firefox, so it might be an issue specific to IE11.
I LOVE MICROSOFT.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The problem comes from allowing Active X Filtering (under Safety) to be active.
Under Safety, if there is check next to Active X Filtering, click on Active X Filtering and it will uncheck it and then mobileread and a number of other sites will work as expected.

It can disable a number of sites....but if you were to go to sites which were less trustworthy it might be worthwhile turning it back on.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
If the problem is the previously mentioned on they are the correct format so no issue except for the filename.

Just because you hate IE doesn't make your shouting about it of any value to the matter, nor of any interest to those more open minded.

For the only naming instances I have come across it has been a server end problem. MobileRead was fixed once, but seems to have reverted again (there have been a number of threads about this over the last year or so). On another small site I use the epubs once started getting named as zips , the site owner corrected the problem immediately when informed of the issue, so was only fleeting.

As I say, it is just a case of adding the site to the compatability list where it will probably be lonely as of the many of the other sites I visit it is the only one non compliant.
I only hate IE because it does weird things which no other browser does. It is not a matter of MobileRead being non-compliant, it is Microsoft which doesn't follow the standards. According to mrmikel, it is the ActiveX part of IE that is causing it. A clear case of useless Microsoft "features" that interfere with what a browser should be doing. Do you realize that good web developers have to code two versions of their website, one for IE and one for "all other browsers"? And some just won't bother, and tell you to upgrade to a real browser.

Any problem which is only present in IE is obviously a problem with IE. This problem has yet to be reported (to my knowledge) anywhere other than in IE.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
AnotherCat

Quote:
...According to mrmikel, it is the ActiveX part of IE that is causing it. A clear case of useless Microsoft "features" that interfere with what a browser should be doing...
In fact ActiveX Filtering is by default disabled in IE, it is the user's choice to enable it, should they wish to for enhanced security. If enabled it is the user's choice as to which sites it is enabled on. With IE 11 MobileRead Library has the same problem whether ActiveX Filtering is enabled by the user or not (in my case it is always disabled).

MobileRead Library is the only source of epubs out of the considerable number of sources that I use that has this issue (or, indeed, any issue at all).

The probable causes at the server end have been mentioned in several threads over the last year, at least. But, of course, only someone at the server end can verify if those are so or not. As a number of people have reported, switching to compatability mode, or for a permanent solution just adding MobileRead to IE's compatability list is an easy and seemingly reliable solution (or, of course, using another browser, none of which are perfect).

I would recommend that from a security point of view the OP is doing the wrong thing by reverting to the superceded IE9.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 01-24-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
In fact ActiveX Filtering is by default disabled in IE, it is the user's choice to enable it, should they wish to for enhanced security. If enabled it is the user's choice as to which sites it is enabled on. With IE 11 MobileRead Library has the same problem whether ActiveX Filtering is enabled by the user or not (in my case it is always disabled).

MobileRead Library is the only source of epubs out of the considerable number of sources that I use that has this issue (or, indeed, any issue at all).

The probable causes at the server end have been mentioned in several threads over the last year, at least. But, of course, only someone at the server end can verify if those are so or not. As a number of people have reported, switching to compatability mode, or for a permanent solution just adding MobileRead to IE's compatability list is an easy and seemingly reliable solution (or, of course, using another browser, none of which are perfect).

I would recommend that from a security point of view the OP is doing the wrong thing by reverting to the superceded IE9.
And I personally find using Firefox gets rid of so many problems... especially on a fully functioning WinXP box.

I will second the warning about old versions of browser software. If IE11 is doing things wrong, the prudent decision would be to move to a better browser, either Firefox or Google Chrome.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
AnotherCat

Quote:
And I personally find using Firefox gets rid of so many problems... especially on a fully functioning WinXP box...
Perhaps not after 8 April though, when a new set of security problems will be faced by XP users .
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
The problem was IE 11. I must have allowed an ie upgrade.
IE11 was started to be pushed to Win 7 via auto-update about 2 months ago, so if you auto-updated, or else if manually updated you did not uncheck IE11, you would have ended up with IE11.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Perhaps not after 8 April though, when a new set of security problems will be faced by XP users .
And I have vowed to upgrade my mother before then.

Also note I didn't say ALL problems.